Itchy lumps around scar tissue

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy lumps around scar tissue

I had a c-section 4 years ago and find from time to time my scar develops raised, red, itchy lump(s) that last a few hours then go away. Sometimes they are quite large and leave swelling behind. I can track it down to tight clothing sometimes, but not always.

I have a theory that it happens when I am fighting off a virus as I often get it a few days before getting a cold but my doctor raised his eyes when I mentioned that.

Has anyone else had this?
I  have  those  come  up  around  my  surgery  scars  and  around  a  scar  from  where  I  had  a  ringworm  infection  a  few  years  ago. They  do  only  last  a  short  time, and  they  itch  like  crazy. I  too  have  mentioned  this  too  my  doctor  and  she  couldn't  come  up  with  anything. The  only  thing  she  could  think  is  that  maybe  it's  the  body's  way  of  responding  to  the  scar  tissue. (?) I  have  tried  looking  it  up  in  medical  books  and  all  over  the  internet, and  I  have  come  up  with  nothing.

I'm  relieved  to  hear  that  I'm  not  alone. I  thought  I  was  going  crazy.  
I had a major surgury 6 years ago and it seems like I am experiencing the same thing. I havent been able to associate it with anything in particular but it scares the **** out of me. Seems to come and go relatively quick though, if anyone knows what it could be that would be awesome.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be case of dermatitis. Some forms of dermatitis occur in sites of mechanical injury or trauma. Another thing to consider here is a keloid formation.

Does anyone of you have previous experience with keloids? Keloids refer to enhanced scar development in areas of wound healing.It is important however to exclude any form of superficial surgical site infection as this may require further evaluation and administration of antibiotics.

This may not be an urgent case. The process of wound healing may involve congestion, swelling and even itching of the affected area. I suggest that you have this evaluated by your physician/surgeon. Topical antibiotics may be able to help.
I had a lung biopsy in Dec. 2007 and the area where they cut in, under my right arm, itches so much that I scratch all night long.  The area has a scar and it itches from 1 to 3 days unrelentently.  I thought wearing a bra that was too snug caused the itch, but then I took off bra and it still itched.  I have used topical anti itch creams as well as antibiotics.  Since 2007, this has happened about 5 times, all horribly painful.  I would like to know what this is so that I can prevent it or treat it upon onset.
Mine is definitely related to having a virus I've decided but yes I have also had at least one keloid scar. It lasted a few years then went away within a week, bizarre. I was advised to never have cosmetic surgery, ha ha.

My c-section scar doesn't look like a keloid scar though.
I burned the back of my arm a few years ago by a black light bulb.  My arm touched the light bulb for literally a second and gave me second degree burns.  About a year ago, four small bumps have appeared on the edge of the scar- three in a row and one on the opposite side of the scar.  Now, a year after they formed, they are itching like crazy!!!  I've read over some things on the internet and it seems the general concensus is just that the scar tissue is still healing, causing the itching.  But I'm not sold on this.  It's kind of freaking me out!  Does anyone know about this???  Thanks.
Rachel
I have a kidney op scar and often get itchy bumps on it that last a while then go away. Mine mostly come up after Ive been drinking so it definately has something to do with the health of your body which makes sense that fighting a virus would cause this too, all depending on the organ. My surgeoun had no idea what it was and would also appreciate some information? Some times I swear my kidney is trying to escape!
I received a wound to my chest recently. It was quite deep and about four inches long. This happened about five weeks ago. The healing process progressed rapidly and without incident until last week. I noticed the site was starting to itch profusely. Then hives appeared and the irritation turned to painful, uncontrollable scratching. I feared some type of infection and proceeded to the clinic. My doctor just wrote it off as a normal healing event. I have several large wounds ( I'm just an old redneck boy) that healed without any of these symptoms.  My son has an upper respiratory infection so all the comments about 'fighting off' some illness has me wondering. I realize this is a recent wound and some itching is expected, but this thing is driving me crazy. All creams and remedies I have tried so little to slow down the 'monster'!!!
I had a large area of skin removed for a biopsy that left a 2 inch scar on my leg and I also have a one inch scar from having a port-a-cath implanted and removed from my upper chest.  Both scars are more than four years old and have episodes of unbearable itching.  They each get a bump in the same place each time that itches terribly for less than an hour, then the itchiness and pain go away.
Yes,  I have gotten a few of those along my scar as well.  I was thinking they were some kind of bug bit.... show up, very itchy and then gone hours later.  So maybe it does have something to do with the healing along the scar line.  
I have about 5 big scars on my arm. I started to get itching raised lumps on and around them this evening after 9 months of having them with no problems. They last about a couple of hours then another lump would pop up on a different scar. This has gone on for around 9hrs now so i thought i would google it n see what came up. It makes sense that it's something to do with antibodies fighting off an infection or virus as i have a chest infection at the momment and started taking some antibiotics yesterday evening. I wonder why this happens though!?
i know how you feel. i used to work at kfc and would burn myself quite often while working. i also got a sleeve tattoo about 2 years ago. about 6 months ago i realized there was this collection of bumps on part of my tattoo. they didnt itch and they didnt seem to be spreading so i left it alone. about a month ago they started itching and spreading rapidly on my tattoo, and on all my burn scars. the weird this is it never spreads outside the borders of my tattoo, other than the ones on my burn scars.
kinda freaking me out too, let me know if u find out what it is. tx
"kidney trying to escape...." LoL :D
Have you guys ever been tested for HSV.  Usually it appears in areas where trauma has occurred.  Many people have HSV, but don't know it.  You might want to ask your doc to do blood work to find out.  If you do have it, know again that about 80% of Americans have it and don't even know it.  There are ways of preventing the possibility of infecting others.  Don't freak out.  It's just a thought, and it wouldn't hurt to get tested.  People can live normal lives with this virus.  Good luck...
Has anyone figured out what the issue is?  I have scars from my gallbladder that was taken out 3 years ago and every once in a while, out of a blue moon, the scar swells and gets very red.  It usually happens in the early morning and is gone back to normal within an hour.  It doesn't really itch or hurt, it just swells right on the scar itself and turns red all around it.  

Like magic, it is back to normal quickly so I can't really go to a Doctor because by the time they are open, the scar is all normal again.

Anyone??
I too get itchy red welts around a scar from the removal skin cancer.  They come up quickly, last a hour or two and disappear.  I have numerous scars from surgeries, Vietnam, etc., but this is the only scar that I get welts on.  Have seen a dermatologist and another doctor who were both stumped.
I had to have quad muscle repair surgery on my right leg. Left me with a good 5 inch long scar above my knee. On occasion it'll just start itching and I forget and just scratch at it a bit and then realize there's a raised lump somewhere along the scar. Not just in the same place but it varies. Never outside the scar and never gets too red just about the same color as the scar itself. Year and a half ago was the surgery and this has happened I'd guess about 7-10 times now. I avoid scratching it and usually just goes away over the course of hours to a day or so. It's pretty annoying and I'm very curious. Today the lump was pretty significantly bigger then normal and just worried one day it'll be something worse.

I heard the mention of having a virus or flu. I am in the 6th day of having a bad cold and today it feels like it's fading the same time the lump came about. Could be something there. Although it's sprung on me like I said various times in the past and I don't remember being sick or anything for the previous stints. Hope someone figures this out or finds some clues.

I have had 9 operations on my wrist with my scars keep being opened and this over 7 years, I get these lumps constantly they itch and hurt to touch. Best way for them to disappear just leave them. I spoke to my doctor about it as we thought at first it could be my reaction to the stitches I had put in, but we did come to the conclusion that it could be just healing, he said it should be gone within a year....ITS STILL HERE!!!
I feel your pain and I know how horrible they are!

I wish mine would disappear for good but apparently that is not going to happen - i did try using bio-oil and that did help for a while, but as soon as I stopped they started to come back again. I have also noticed that fragrance products tend to start the reaction too.
Maybe try consuming borax in water and avoiding gluten. I put some posts up about this in the other forums in the same community. It could be related to the same rashes.