Itchy on my penis head

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy on my penis head

Dear Doctor,

Since more than a week, I feel itchy on my penis head skin and the below area of the head. I believe this was caused by me being lazy to cleanly wash my penis directly after having sex (Yes, I am now regret that). This is my first time I got this situation. When I first noticed it (after woke up in the morning), I saw some kind of white thing like a peeled skins or soft tissues. I immediately clean my penis. Most of the white thing were washed away. I thought it will be OK. But, I feel itchy and not all white thing were gone. So, I was panicked and I took antibiotics (amoxicillin pils), 4 times (once a day). Then I started to feel the side effect of this antibiotic, bitter in my tongue, dry skin in the edge of my lips, and bit dry in my penis skin. Now, my penis is still itchy and the head is a bit red. Probably skin iritation, I don't know. I wash it cleanly with warm water every several hours.
Could you please help? What kind of treatment or cream or else to cure this?
Thank you.  

This is a condition called balanitis.Balanitis is inflammation of the glans (glands) penis. Lack of aeration and irritation because of smegma and discharge surrounding the glans (glands) penis causes inflammation and edema.More common in uncircumcised males.

It is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. The inflammation can be due to infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.
One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans.  Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

It can be treated by applying Miconazole, an anti-fungal medication.Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

If the symptoms persist, you would need to consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Dear BhumikaMD,

Thank you for your explanation.

I found there are quite number of Miconazole, anything specific?

By the way, how to do treatment? Just put the cream in my penis? In this case, can I still wear my underwear? Or I should lay down naked during this treatment.

I am sorry for asking this funny question :)

Thank you.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers