Itchy palm and fingers

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy palm and fingers

It all started a few months ago with itchy palms, and hardening of the skin of my palms. Now, my fingers itch, especially between the thumb and the index finger, There are no blisters or pus, but there is cracked and white and yellowish scaly skin on my fingers.I am on synthroid for hypothyroid, and I've had mild psoriasi on my elbows before. The itching subsides usually when I use heavy moisturizers, however the minute my palms get drier, the itching starts again. Hopefully, someone will shed some light over my condition. Thanks.  
From the symptoms it sounds like eczema. Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

• Dry patch of skin (1 replies):
    I don't actually know what this is, but anyways I have t...[more]
  • Red Flaky Spots (2 replies):
    I have these red flaky spots all over my body.I thought ...[more]
  • itchy rash on face (1 replies):
    I have a itchy rash on my face. My skin looks dry and i...[more]
  • Chafe? (2 replies):
    I have this rash on my bum. its itchy and some of it is ...[more]
  • face (1 replies):
    i have red spots on my face they do not itch and they ar...[more]

Thank yo so much for your detailed comment. I went and saw a dermatologist 2 days ago, and his finding was the same as your comment. He prescribed me fluocinonide to be used twice daily with plenty of moisturizers. Hopefully, this will help reduce the itching and heal the cracked the skin with time. Thank you again for your comment. I will keep you and the forum posted with my updates.