Itchy rash and swelling on neck and face

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I just returned from a beach vacation in Jamaica. While there, I started to develop redness, then a bumpy red rash on my chest and neck. I assumed it was a reaction to the sun or heat. It continued to worsen, with skin starting to erupt and scab along an old scar as well as swelling on my chin and throat. Once home, I immediately took Benadryl and again later that next day. It did not improve ; in fact the swelling seemed worse; I applied cold compresses to the swollen area, which certainly helped with the itching; difficult to tell if it affected swelling... Applied some Voltaren (anti-inflammatory) cream to small area of my face which seemed to help. Thoughts, advice? I'm a bit concerned about the location of the swelling although my airway seems fine...
If the spots have suddenly appeared then it may be due to an allergic reaction but other possibilities like viral rashes, fungal infection, hives, scabies, pityriasis rosea etc also need to be ruled out. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps. If the symptoms persist then steroids may be needed. You have to consult a dermatologist in that case.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Good evening~
My sister is having this same type of reaction (x2 days) with it seeming to worsen a little with benadryl and prednisone (steroids). Did you rash clear up, and did you find out what the cause was? Was there a particular medication that cleared it up?

Would appreciate any input you can give. Hers is quite severe looking.

Thanks!