Itchy rash around corner of mouth?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy rash around corner of mouth?

4560810?1244946635
I am experiencing a red, itchy, flakey rash on the side of my mouth near the corners. It hurts when I try to open my mouth, and when I scratched earlier it started to bleed a little bit. The rash on each side is the size of a dime. What is it? Could this be oral herpes or something else? I have been test for herpes blood test and came back negative? Thanks for you help!
what does this look like to you?
More like an angular stomatitis than anything else.Bland creme and canesten if there is a fungal component.Orally complex tabs should help you.
What is that and what causes that? It is better now that i have slept but it feels like it is rough, like small scabs formed.
There are two components allergic and fungal.You can add nutritional as the third.Like toothpaste containing for sensitive tooth for example.Latex of fruit eaten.
chemicals for control of sensiive tooth ,colouring agents.
is there anything to worry about with it? would it be best to go to my normal doctor or a dermatolgist?
Just apply vaseline I feel it would settle.Any doc would be fine not necessarily a derm.
What was your solution? It is three years in the future, and it doesn't seem like you posted any updates. I am having the exact same problem as you according to your picture and description. I am using antifungal creams and antibiotic creams but none are working. Please tell me if you remember what you did to make it go away, seeing it seems likely by now you found a solution.
Same thing happening on me.. Do drop me an email if any of u guys have any idea of how to cure it..
moon_910***@****
looks like angular cheilitis to me. it's a non contagious infection typically caused by either a fungus or bacteria in the corner of your mouth. It is caused by ill-fitting dentures in older people, and by wind, cold, or dry conditions that cause you to lick your lips. when you like your lips too often the saliva accumulates in the corners of your mouth and the germs in your saliva can start to have a little too much fun there.

also it's related to iron and b-vitamin deficiencies. i've had it before, i'm a vegetarian who had been eating mostly vegan, and I just bumped up my eggs per week and ate more nutritional yeast for b-vitamins and grape-nuts cereal for iron. (a multivitamin would also work i just perfer eating foods to pills but it's really no different)

regardless of the cause, keep it clean! warm water and soap, not obsessively, but a few times a day to keep it clean. i used diluted tea tree oil (1 part tea tree to 5 parts water) to kill the germs, and then finished with olive oil to moisturize it.

try not to lick it, it'll only prolong the infection
Great tip 1ironaut.  Also, I find that 1% hyrdrocortisione cream that you can get over the counter also helps to keep the area moisturized, reduce any redness and itching, and heal the area quickly.