Itchy rash on arms and neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy rash on arms and neck

Can anyone help me find out what this could be?  A couple of weeks ago I got this circular rash on my neck (didn't look like ringworm) that was about one inch in diameter.  Now I keep getting these itchy "straight line" rashes all over my arms and neck.  They are made up of a bunch of little bumps that are clustered into a line that is about two inches long and half an inch wide.  Anyone know?
  • itchy rash (2 replies):
    I'm wondering if my itchy rash isn't bed bugs or some ki...[more]
  • HELP (Scabies) (2 replies):
    Is it possible to have scabies and show NO symptoms what...[more]
  • Red Bumps (4 replies):
    I had a girlfriend who was on the pill and we regularly ...[more]
  • Raised bumps (8 replies):
    My daughter is 16 and has raised bumps that are sort of ...[more]
  • scabies (1 replies):
    Someone I know has been exposed to scabies, is there any...[more]
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

One condition I can think of when you describe linear rash that itches is scabies.

Have you had any previous exposure to anyone with scabies?

This may need a physician's complete physical examination and assessment. I suggest that you seek consult with a dermatologist so that microscopic evaluation of skin scrapings from the area may be done to help determine the cause of the rash.

Have you had any prior flulike symptoms, fever or joint pains before the rash?

Any history of travel or camping activities?
I have not had any other symptoms besides the rash.  I do work in a hospital so exposure to someone with scabies is likely.  How is that treated?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

If there is a high index of suspicion for scabies, it is necessary to avoid skin to skin contact as much as possible. Avoid unnecessarily touching the areas affected and try to keep these areas covered. Washing personal belongings like linens and beddings may also be a good measure of prevention. In your case, the diagnosis of scabies needs to be ascertained first. A consult with a dermatologist will be able to help as skin scrapings of the involved areas may readily show the mites under microscopy. Topical medications are given for scabetic infections.

Scabies is just a differential here. However, eczematous disease may also have linear and nummular (roundish ) patterns .It is best to have these conditions differentiated.