Itchy rash on sides of face/neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy rash on sides of face/neck

About 6 weeks ago I developed dermatitis (or raised small bumps) on the side of my face, neck that were extremely itchy. It happened about 7-10 days after I got my hair dyed, so I though it might be a reaction to the dye. I took benedryl and go a steroid shot. The benedryl took the itching down about 25-40%. I then went to an allergist who put on prednisone, I felt zoned, but this did not help the rash. I took my last dose of prednisone and now the rash is spreading down my neck and worse than ever. I believe the prednisone made it worse. I was on for 14 days and my highest dose was 60mg. Any way I am at my wits end. I am seeing my GP again tomorrow. Any ideas of what it might be? It is terribly itchy
From the symptoms it sounds like hives and they are usually itchy. One possibility that can explain such a symptom is any allergy. Diagnosis of skin allergies includes Skin ***** tests (pricking the skin with a needle or pin containing a small amount of the allergen ('***** Testing' or 'Scratch Testing'), Patch tests (by applying a patch to the skin, where the patch contains the allergen.)And RAST.

Apart from the steroids, take some antihisatminics and vitamin c and apply some calamine lotion. Sometimes the treatment has to be taken for long periods of time.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello, thank you for your reply. Quick question. I have tried 2 different antihistamines separately, with 2 days in between. The first xyzal, this worked fantastic in reducing the redness in my face/neck, but then I began getting a rash on my elbows and knees. This seemed like an allergic reaction so I stopped. Went back to benadryl, the rashes on my elbows and knees went away but my face got inflamed. So 2 days later I tried 180mg Allegra, and the same thing happened! My face/neck calmed down but the rashes on my elbows knees came. Do xyzal and allegra have a similar ingredient, or what could this be? I would really like an antihistamine that works but doesn't cause another reaction,just crazy! Thank you ahead for you response