Itchy rashes at night?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy rashes at night?

So, I read the question asked by Scituate, and responded to by Dr. Alan Rockoff. I tend to have these scratch-like rashes on my upper and lower back, and am not sure what to do. Also, it tends to react more when I take a shower. The strange part is, I haven't been using any new products. After reading about dermographism, it sounds a lot like what I might be having problems with, but I'm just not sure. Thanks for your help!

This discussion is related to Rash with Itchy spots only at night.
It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
Thanks a lot for your help. I will definately try to keep the area moisturized and see what it does.

Glad the post was of some help to you.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.