Itchy rashes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy rashes

I have red rashes on the right side of my stomach. It starts out as a small oval, and then spreads. It is very itchy, but not all the time (only a few intense minutes/a few times a day). What's strange to me is that the area that is itchy will turn brown within a day, and then it fades away and is gone, not even a scar is left. However, the area around it becomes infected and turns red and itchy again. (It doesn't seem to infect any other area.) This has been going on for about a month and a half now (because I kept thinking it will go away). Right now I have a red arc on the right side of my stomach.

Could you help me diagnose this and suggest what I should do? Is there any over-the-counter cream that works for these kind of symptoms?

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help.

(FYI, I have had this rash before last year, and this time it appears at about the same time as last year. It was almost gone when it comes back again and has been going on until now)
One possibility for such a rash is of pityriasis rosea. Pityriasis rosea is a common human skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and itching. Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
From the symptoms it seems it is pityriasis rosea. Pityriasis rosea is a common skin disease which presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash starts with a single large patch called a herald patch. The rash then spreads to the chest, back, arms, and legs. The rash is usually oval, scaly, pink or pale red. A physical examination will confirm the cause. Take over-the-counter antihistamine like hydroxyzine for relief in symptoms. Mild cortisone creams may be used to soothe irritation. It is very difficult to confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations. Schedule an appointment with a dermatologist.
Take care and regards!
Thank you so much for your input. I will try to go see a doctor.
Thank you so much for your suggestion.