Itchy red bumps on tattoo

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy red bumps on tattoo

I just recently got a tattoo on my foot, about 6 months ago, all the healing process should be done but i have little bumps covering most of it. They itch a lot more when my foot gets hot, or if im in the sun. You cant see the bumps unless you feel the tattoo. A tattoo artist told me that it might be the red ink (it has mercury in it.) and some people have reactions to it, i dont want it to irritate me forever..please HELP

This could be an allergic reaction to the tattoo, dermatitis or eczema.

Allergic reactions to tattoo pigments are uncommon except for certain brands of red and green. People who are sensitive or allergic to certain metals may react to pigments in the skin with swelling and/or itching, and/or oozing of clear fluid called serum. Such reactions are quite rare, however, and some artists will recommend performing a test patch.

For those who are allergic to latex, many artists are using non-latex or will use non-latex gloves if asked.

There is also a small risk of anaphylactic shock (hypersensitive reaction) in those who are susceptible, but the chance of a health risk is small.

You could take some oral antihistamine medications and apply calamine lotion at the site.

If the symptoms do not resolve, consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
I have the same problem, only in the summer time. A lite cover of pure Emu Oil Twice a day does the trick in about two weeks the bumps are all gone.
If you put it on to thick you might get red blimeses so just a lite cover will do best