Itchy red mark on neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy red mark on neck

I develop a rash on my neck at beginning of summer or  when i visit hot places like Arizona occasionally.
I live in CA, now I'm getting one. It only happenes to my neck.
It starts like red blotchies here and there, (not bumpy) itchies. It consists like a month or abit more.
Towards healing end, red marks turns into brownish color and that area skin looks like wrinkles like after sunburned.

It doesn't happen often. But once it does it takes so long to get rid of, or heal, it makes me crazy.
It look ugly too.
I suspect it's strong sun causing some sort of allergy? I don't sweat much in CA so its not heat rash.

I'm taking allergy pills (claritin), and using Cortisone cream for itches.
I do not see much improvement.

Anyone have idea what I have and what's causing it?
How could I cure or prevent it?

Thank you for your help.

It can be due to solar dermatitis, photodermatitis or heat rash. You can take non-sedating antihistamines such as Cetirizine or Loratadine(Claritin)which you are already taking. Short courses of oral cortisone or steroids are taken for short periods (one to three days) to settle more severe symptoms. You may take Vitamin C along with the prescribed treatment. Vitamin C is a general anti-allergy supplement. Also apply calamine lotion and a mild steroid cream like dermacort on the rash.

To prevent solar urticaria in future, desensitization using phototherapy and photochemotherapy are often advised. In this we try to decrease the amount of exposure by gradually increasing exposure to the form of radiation that brings about the reaction.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for your reply and medical answers.

I've been taking Claritin for awhile and it's going away nicely.
Im also taking multi Vitamin and C pills everyday as you adviced.
I could see scars going away faster than usual this time! Thank you.

I've been wearing scarf on my neck when Im out in sun everyday.
Currently not confident enough to apply sunscreen yet skin is not fully healed.(i tried they sting)
But I do wear sunscreen in summertime. when it fully healed i'll start wearing them.
Hope it won't happen... least for awhile.

(addition to it, I've been having "Restless legs" or something, so started taking Iron pills.
It worked great for legs, but now I got bumps on my face/not neck. LOL
Sigh. things doesn't work well. Now I stopped taking iron, switched to Prune juice.
It taste REALLY bad. eew! )
Take care that you avoid the sun in the peak sun hours like from 10am to 4 pm and if you are to wear sunscreens, wear a sunscreen with spf of atleast 30 minimum half an hour before going out in the sun. Also reapply the sunscreen when sweating or going out for swimming.