Itchy red rash on knuckles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy red rash on knuckles

I woke myself up a few nights ago because my hand had began to itch. When i woke up in the morning i looked at it and a rash, consisting of small, itchy, red bumps, had appeared on the knuckles of both my pointer fingers. It has been about 4 days now and the rash has spread up my pointer fingers, to the next knuckles, down the side of my hands and to my elbows. I have had a slight history of eczema, however, it was on my neck area and i have not had a flare up in about 3 years. I'm not sure if i should inform my dermatologist or if i should use over-the-counter medications to take care of it. If you have any advice for me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema

Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for your symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how you are doing.

Regards.
Thank you for your response! However, Im pretty sure its not eczema, but it could possibly be sweat dermatitis, although i dont know what that is. My only reasoning behind thinking this is that i play field hockey and i am constantly sweating and wiping sweat from my face. The areas that are inflamed are the areas of my hand that I would use to wipe my face. Im not sure if this information is useful at all, but if you could explain "sweat dermatitis" to me that would be great.

Thanks again!
i have a lump on the finger (the one next to my little finger) it's been there for just over 2 months & isn't going down atall, it is on the nail side up side of the finger on the the 2nd joint from the fingernail? Does anyone know what this could be, I am worried it is cancer???