Itchy red rash that is spreading up both arms to chest and neck. Starts...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy red rash that is spreading up both arms to chest and neck. Starts out as small red bumps before turning to rash.

5565460?1271126975
I woke up one morning with looked like insect/mosquito bites on BOTH of my arms right above my wrists. Over the next few days it turned to a rash that spread up my arms to my elbows, stopped mid elbow, jumped up to my neck, and now i have the little bumps that come before this rash on my upper chest and mid inside thigh. The bumps happen first, then the rash follows. Doc took a look at the rash and said "looks like its poison ivy" and gave me prednasone and levaquin yesterday. The itching is slightly subsiding, but the rash is still spreading and the bumps are still apprearing. I dont think poison ivy presents as small red bumps under the skin before it turns into a rash. Its been spreading for about 5 days.
BTW, the rash is bright red, the flash took the color out of it. And ive washed everything, changed all the covers and sheets and have no bugs in the room.
One possibility that is coming to my mind is of pityriasis rosea. IT presents as numerous patches of pink or red oval rash. The rash may be accompanied by low-grade headache, fever, nausea and fatigue and sometimes by itching.

Topical and oral steroids are needed. Water, sweat, and soap may cause irritation and should be avoided in the disease. Topical zinc oxide and calamine lotion are useful for pruritus.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.