Itchy red sores all over body

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy red sores all over body

My mother has had some kind of skin disesase for about 4 months now. It started with shingles, and now it is making her miserable. She has red sores all over her body, the worst places being her arms and her back. they are not on her face though. The sores are extremely itchy and we havent found any remedy. She has been to many doctors, but so far none of the expensive medicines or creams have helped. She is even taking shots to help.  
Any thoughts?
Since your mother started having these sores after an attack of viral infection( herpes zoster/ shingles), it can be due to secondary bacterial infection of the sores and to confirm the diagnosis, you can send the pus from the bumps for pus culture sensitivity to identify the bacterial infection if any. If it is bacterial infection, then he may need oral and topical antibiotics. Also a biopsy skin needs to be done and sample sent for ruling out erythema multiforme and herpes sores.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hi Sarah,
Did you ever find out what was causing the sores and have they gone away?
My mother, 83, has sores on her arms and back.  They itch and now she says she has burning.
I was told she does not have shingles, and it is not bacterial.  However they couldn't tell me what it was.  They prescribed a cream that is doing nothing.
Thanks.