Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy scalp, eyebrows and forehead, with raised red area on forehead

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I'm suffering from itching on my forehead, eyebrows and scalp, varying from minor irritation to a unignorable situation through the day.  My forehead feels oily and raised red spots have appeared, particularly around the area between my eyebrows and upwards towards the scalp.  This is especially noticeable after washing, and the area above the bridge of my nose can appear raised and overly red.  I can also feel spots under the eyebrow hair and there is occasional flaking from the scalp.  Itchness and spots have also occasionally occurred on my upper left arm near the shoulder.
I suffer from hayfever during the summer.  In terms of washing, I've tried avoiding the forehead altogether to applying soap, face wash and/or moisturiser.  I've also tried medicated shampoo to no avail.
This situation seems to have persisted since I first had laser eye surgery in October, but was most pronounced in January when it spread to my forehead and the skin peeled.  At this point, I saw my GP about this who prescribed Fucidin H cream for a week.  The symptoms went away temporarily, appearing again a week after I stopped applying the cream.  Another visit led to some Diprobase moisturiser which didn't help.
I've been reluctant to return, instead combating the symptoms on a short term basis with the cream on a weekly basis.  I feel it may be related to the Blink eye drops I've been taking ever since surgery. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Usually itching of the type you describe is aggravated if not induced by stress.  At times the stress is intensified by wondering what the itch is coming from, so the problem becomes a vicious cycle.  I can't think of any condition of much significance that would produce red spots like the ones you have.  If I were you, I'd apply some 1% hydrocortisone a couple of times a day to the affected areas, and otherwise leave everything alone and let nature take its course.  If it won't, then a visit to a kin doctor might be worthwhile.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have a similar case although I have never had any laser surgery. I have all the redness around my eyebrows and also on my nose and stretching out underneath my eyes. I used to have the itchy/flaking scalp as well but have effectively treated it and not seen it return since. I used Ketoconazole, Selinium sulfide, and Zinc shampoos dailyfor about a month and have not experienced any recurrence.
A related discussion, Itchy eyebrows was started.
A related discussion, could was started.
A related discussion, Itchy eyes, scalp and eyelids with acne on forehead was started.
A related discussion, itchy forehead and sinus infection was started.