Itchy scaly rash to side of nose

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy scaly rash to side of nose

7297718?1317844771
I have a rash by my nose that I figured was just a function of other irregular skin conditions during puberty, but it doesn't seem to have gone away.  It seems to be agitated by cold weather(it clears up somewhat in warmer months), allergies(hayfever), the flu, washing more than once a day (with cetaphil the mildest cleanser I could find, other cleansers make inflammation much worse) and irregular sleep patterns.  When I was younger I went to see a dermatologist who prescribed bactroban(mupirocin) which treated it symptomatically and it went away for about 4 months then, it came back in the winter(cold weather again).  I have seen other posts and have looked elsewhere on the internet, but I either find rashes that are more severe or in different locations.

Please help.
Acute cases are managed with short course  application of hydrocortisone or ketoconazole creme.
Side note: topical anti-inflammatories such as castor oil provide temporary relief.  This photo was taken after a night where it was particularly bad, but was treated with castor oil overnight.

I would prefer a peremenant solution rather than a treatment, I've tried many treatments I want to solve the underlying problem.
Two of my kids had that rash.  I put them on a gluten free diet for another reason and realized they both healed up around their noses.  They haven't had a problem since then.  I do not know if your rash will improve if you were to try the diet, but it's worth a shot if you feel like giving the diet a try.

If you'd like to try it, just leave me a message and I'll help you with the diet.
Would a gluten allergy manifest itself after showing no signs of existing for 16 years?
Actually, most people, just one fine day, suddenly start with symptoms of either gluten intolerance or celiac disease.  As you get older and the hormones change combined with whatever you are eating combined with stress creates wear and tear on the body.  Again, I'm not sure you have the same root cause for the outbreak around the nose.  But when I saw your post I thought I'd let you know what helped us.  Because it is annoying to have these problems and not know what caused them to begin with.  If you try the gluten free diet and it doesn't help after a few weeks, maybe try eliminating other foods like dairy products for several weeks to see if that helps.  Sugar is another food that has nasty effects on the body.  Nothing like fruit, vegetables, protein and healthy fats along with sunshine each day with a decrease in stress to help clear alot of problems up.  Hope this helps!
Seborrheic dermatitis- from the photo.
I agree with maatson, I have a friend with celiac the symptoms don't match, the question is how do I treat an acute recurring case. Dandruff can be treated using a good shampoo, but what about localized areas of the skin.
Please check out this site:

http://www.100percentnature.co.uk/infodatabase/proddetail.php?prod=SEBDERM
Are these products availble over the counter or by perscription only, what brand names are they sold under?
In some countries over the counter, but do make sure you consult your family doc.
My brother and I both have this.. it flares up when we stress or the weather changes.  We have 2 other siblings who do not have it.  For me its on one side of my nose and along the hairline around my face and on the scalp.  Nizoral shampoo helps mine and just generally keeping clean and dry.  
Indeed so. Ketoconazole either in form of creme or shampoo(Nizoral) should help.Do consult Doc.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers