Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy scrotum region

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itchy scrotum region

Hi there I am a 21 year old male who hasnt had sex in over a year, by choice. Over the last three - four months I have had a itchy scotum witch is my main problem alog with a few pimple/boil like sores on my srotum and penis, the sores got worse from me itching at them, they where not open sores, otherwise they looked kinda like pimples.

At first I thought the itching was just Jock Itch so I went to the doc and he told me it could have been HSV, but sent me home with anti-fungals and instructions to come back if it didnt clear up.

The pimples healed so they didnt bother me anymore but the itching persisted. I have tried EVRY over the counter anti-fungal they make. It didnt clear up so I went back to the doctor to get a HSV test wich came back negitive for HSV.

He gave me some strong Hydrocortosone cream and told me it was LSC (lichen simplex chronicus) a few days ago. This morning when I got off work I went to take a pee and I noticed that the head of my penis was blochy and red, not a raised rash or anything, just the coloration. My scrotum isnt differnt in colloration or anything, it looks normal, it just itches.

What the heck do i have? My scrotum is itchy as all hell, wich can be very embearising when I am out in public. I am in the military and I think the doctors on base are diagnosing this wrong.

Holy sh*t! i just got up to urinate again and the redness on the head of my penis is gone now. I swear I aint crazy but what the hell is wrong with me?
Eczema, is all.  If your doctor thought you had HSV, why treat you with antifungal creams?  I think that the reason you haven't responded to antifungal creams is that you don't have a fungus.  Hydrocortisone sounds like the right kind of treatment, but it shouldn't bee too strong.  I'd ignore the pimples, which will go away best if left alone, and ignore the blotchiness, which means nothing.  Just use non-medicated lotions and anti-itch products containing Benadryl or menthol.  And if you possibly can get to see a skin doctor, one visit should set you straight.  But I don't think you need to worry about infections or funguses.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
i need answers because i am worried here.  i have a similar problem,  a few weeks back i tried shaving my pubic hair and after a day my scrotum area starting itching. i figured it was from shaving and from scratching it i develop a couple bumps. but recently about 2 weeks ago and i can't explain it. i noticed little white head bumps underneath my belly button and stops at my waistline just before the pubic area.  it doesn't itch but the bumps on my pubic area itch and from scratching it i think it may be spreading because i noticed a couple bumps on the base of my penus, which really worries me, because it all started from shaving down there a few weeks ago. i just purchased hydro cortisone,  im worried that it may be really really bad.
A related discussion, need a little help here was started.