Itchy skin - urticaria or scabies?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy skin - urticaria or scabies?

I returned from an overseas holiday about 3 months ago, and developed a small, itchy rash.  
It started on the outside of my butt crack and on the upper-back thigh, but has since spread to my inner-upper thigh and on my hip.  The rash consists of small raised, red marks, more oval shaped than circular.  It does not bother me too much during the day, but at night it has become very itchy - to the point that it wakes me up every morning at about 04:00 - and I can't get back to sleep.  The lack of sleep is having a big impact on my life.  I am also itchy in places where I do not have the rash – for example my armpit, the side of my torso and occasionally the area under my bellybutton.
I have been to three doctors and one dermatologist who have diagnosed Dermatitis, and Urticaria.  However, the medications prescribed (Aristocort cream and antihistamines) have had no effect.
My partner (who lives overseas) is also experiencing itchy skin too - which may, or may not be related.
I thought that we might have scabies, but neither of us have any symptoms near the hands or feet....
Please help - the itching is driving me nuts.
Thanks!
It can be due to ringworm or scabies, both of which are contagious and very itchy rashes. Ringworm presents as red circular itchy skin patches. To confirm the diagnosis, please get an evaluation done from a dermatologist. KOH examination of the skin scrapings can be done for fungal infections.

Diagnosis of scabies is made by scraping the skin and viewing the material under a microscope to see the characteristic mite or eggs.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Can that be urticaria.. I had skin elevations in circular patterns that spread throughout the body very rapidly. Doctors diagnosed it as urticaria without any test (blood, hemogram) or scratching the skin.... Although the elevation has come in control but the rashes appear at times. Can you help on how can the diagnosis proceed ? Can a hemogram test help ?

Can it be scabies or ringworm and not urticaria ?

Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.

They are of two types: acute and chronic (when hives persist for more than 6 weeks). The most likely triggers for acute urticaria are allergies to pets, horses, latex and foods, such as shellfish and nuts, bee or wasp stings, allergies to medicines, Viral infections, dental and sinus infections, fungal infections, blood transfusions and vaccines.

The cause of chronic urticaria is often more difficult to identify. Most cases are called chronic idiopathic urticaria, which means they're caused by the body's unexplainable development of antibodies to itself (auto-antibodies).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for response & appreciate your concern.

Its not chronic and acute as it subsides in a couple of hours. Have seen red dots on skin but no sharp elevations in past 2 days.

Have consulted dermatologists but I like to keep a check on everything I am asked to do by them.... some of them look so confused :-o

What sort of examination can help (hemogram / other test) and what can be looked for in the reports.

They say that this has happened due to some sort of allergy to food / medicines... and I remember that only new thing I applied that day was heal-ex and one cream both, for muscle pain. How do I know what more can it be as I take similar diet everyday and did not find anything unusual ?

Thanks,

Did you ever get down to the bottom of your condition?   I have the same symptoms.   I've wondered if it could be caused by scabies or a medication like vyvanse or a virus of some kind.

LD