Dermatology Expert Forum
Itchy skin on arms, legs, groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Itchy skin on arms, legs, groin area

About 3-4 weeks ago I started to itch in my groin area.  At first this really didn't include anything but the area surrounding my penis and scrotum.  Lately my scrotum has been itching as well as the surrounding areas (penis does not itch).  Other parts of my body have been following and it is getting worse.  About a week ago a slightly red single bump in the groin area to the right of my penis that also itches appeared.  Sometimes it is redder than others, but this may be from scratching.  It is very small (smaller than a BB).  There is also some redness to the lower part of my scrotum (where it meets my body).  There are no bumps or blisters as far as I can tell on my penis or my scrotum.  I have had what I think is a skin tag in the crease of my scrotum.  The skin immediately around this "tag" is red in color.  I've seen this "tag" for a long time now.  All of this is getting progressively worse.

The last time I had sex was about 4 months ago and I used a condom.  I have had unprotected sex once and that was at least 4 years ago with no problems.  

I plan on making an appointment at a clinic tomorrow, but I'm pretty much flipping out about all of this right now.  I've never had problems like this until now.  Before this started happening I gave blood (not that I think I contracted anything from it, but I haven't been notified of any problems.)  Althought I'm still worried out of my mind.  Any advice or idea of what is going on??
I think you have eczema or chafing, and that it's irritating a skin tag that's been sitting there minding its own business.  I advise you to wash the area gently, use powder after showering, put lotion on, otherwise leave the area free of rubbing and close examination, make an appointment, and don't worry.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Thanks for your comments.  I went to a doctor and he prescribed Atarax and a Desonide cream for the affected areas.  Things seem to be clearing up a bit, but I'm sure it will take a couple days.  My skin is definitely not as red or irritated.  It seems that the problems have been focused around areas where hair grows.  As a matter of fact, the bumps are around the hairs.  Are these medications good for the groin area and base of the penis?  It seems that after using the cream the bumps aroudn the hair follicles came out more.  Also, the base of my penis seems more dry than it was before starting this treatment.  Maybe I'm just looking too hard.  I don't think it's anything major still a bit worrysome.

Thanks again!
This seems almost like what is affecting a friend, but the itch is resident in the groin area. Added to that, there is also the problem of the same groi area appearing moist/wet, with feelings of burning sensation a situation that is discomforting. I wonder what that is?
A related discussion, penus problem was started.