Itchy skin that turns into bumps when scratched

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Sometimes lately I've had areas of my skin that itch.  Initially I don't notice any signs of any rash or anything, but after I scratch the area small bumps form sort of in clusters.  After I leave them alone for a few minutes they tend to disappear. They look sort of like insect bites or scabies when they become raised, but I don't believe that this is what they are.  Currently this is happening on the back of my left hand and a couple of days ago on my wrist.  What are possible causes?
bump
It looks like hives to me. Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours.
You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps. If the symptoms persist then steroids may be needed. You have to consult a dermatologist in that case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing
My husband has this same problem on his bottom. It itches terribly and when he scratches these little bumps are raised, often in small clusters of 3 or 4 bumps. They go down quickly. Some are older and it looks like dry skin; other areas are dark red and thick feeling. From what we can tell it's not from hives or scabies. The description sounds just like aybuddy's. Do you have any other suggestions as to what this could be?
This condition is called Aquagenic urticaria. This is sort of the mildest form of hives (I'm not certain, please check on wiki) but is caused when skin is exposed to water.
Hello everyone. I also have this disease or what ever it is. Every time when i scratch a part of my back,after 4-5 mins then after 4-5 mins it disappears. It bumps and its color is more likely red,i asked my mom,"Mom,do you know where did i get this kind of Skin Allergy or something? , Mom said. You know, since you were born you have this and your Great Grand Father's Brother has also have this Skin Disease. Maybe,you get that from him... Then,i keep searching and browsing the Net for the Solution for this Disease. Can someone please,T_T tell me to what to do,i play basketball,well you know how basketball works,sometimes others accidentally scratches you,so sometimes,i hide my part of a skin with that bumped and redish...Until now i have this... SO,CAN ANYONE PLEASE,TELL ME WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO CURE THIS DISEASE. And THANK YOU FOR READING THIS MESSAGE,I'll keep an eye on this website to check for your comments.. thanks..