Itchy stinging biting sensation

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy stinging biting sensation

For about two weeks now I have been having random stings all over my body even my scalp. There is also itching and a feeling of things jumping or moving on my skin. I have been checked for scabies, fleas, mites and lice. I have none of those. There is also random red bumps scattered on my body. Most of them are on areas where my clothing is covering tightly. Where my bra sits and underwear, thigh, butt. And there is also red dots on random places on my body. I have been taking long hot showers. I stopped taking hot long showers about two days ago and I am using gold bond lotion after showering. I stick to one lukewarm short shower a day now. I also am taking Allegra (type 1), Zantac (type 2 antihistamine), Garlic (500 mg) and Vitamin B. I take these once a day in the morning. I have been told I have eczema. I know what is happening to me is an allergic reaction I'm wondering if it is related to something like the Garlic pills or Vitamin B or something else?
Make sure you are using a sensetive skin laundry detergent. I had a similar problem the first time I let my husband do the grocery shopping...he bought off-brand detergent trying to save money and I broke out in small red bumpy hives...itchy everywhere! Also if you have eczema make sure you are using hypoallergenic lotion such as Cetaphil and a sensitive skin soap (non-fragrence) such as Dove. Hope this all helps!! ALSO make sure you change your bed sheets every couple weeks!
I only use All Clear And Free laundry detergent. Never had a problem with it before. I have noticed that lately when I brush my hair I find a few black dots in my hair but its not all the time. Like maybe once a day or something. The black dots are loose and come out. Along with it I also find green flakes. I am wondering if my shampoo is doing something to my scalp or the hot shower water? I'm scared of it being bugs but I haven't seen anything live on my bed or on my body. I even sat up one night and kept a flashlight on my legs to see if there was bed bugs and I checked my mattress nothing.  I had my mom check my scalp she found nothing but dry scalp and a little dandruff. So I'm at a loss as to what it is.
I just wanted to comment that I saw my doctor yesterday. She checked me for any type of insect or parasite and found nothing. I have no bites or anything on my scalp or body. I do have eczema bumps (a few) and itching and that weird jumping bug on skin feeling/crawling sensation but other than that nothing to indicate bugs. My doctor thinks it could be three things. Dry skin from the extremely long hot showers I was taking and an allergic reaction build up from all the Permethrin I'd been spraying in my house to get rid of fleas and insects.

My house is proudly bug free well except for the occasional millipede. lol The last possible thing going on with me though unlikely is that something is going wrong with my liver or my thyroid. So I just had my blood tested today for liver, thyroid and I had my cholesterol checked since its time. I won't know the results until next week probably. So in the mean time my doctor prescribed me Allegra for the day and told me to take Atarax at night.

So far I haven't noticed any reactions to Atarax or bad symptoms though my eyes seem to dry out a little so I keep eye drops on me. I have noticed that my symptoms of itching and the bug crawling on my skin sensation are improving.

I never though about me having an reaction to prolonged exposure of Permethrin. Heh...

Unless things get worse or I notice other symptoms I will stick by the assessment my doctor gave me. I will update in a week to note my progress whether better or worse.

From these symptoms the possibility os prickly heat needs to be ruled out. Prickly heat (miliaria) is an itchy skin rash caused by trapped sweat. It tends to occur on areas of the body where skin touches skin, such as under the breasts, on the inner thighs, and under the arms. Tiny red spots with itching and pricking sensation are the characteristic appearance of this rash.

Avoid using any lotions and creams for the meantime. Use a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. Also use cotton clothes and change the clothes twice if there is any increased sweating.Try keeping the skin free of sweat as far as possible. If the symptoms still persist then you can apply mild steroid like dermacort. For the itching antihistaminics like Benadryl or Claritin can be taken.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I never considered prickly heat. Thank you for the information. I am considering going back to the doctor. I was improving and then I took a hot shower because its cold and the strange bug crawling/jumping sensation has returned. Also itching and some red bumps which look like eczema. I applied Eucerin, which is what the doctor recommended. However I agree too much lotion can also be a bad idea. I am currently taking Allegra for day time and Atarax at night. I cannot take Claritin or Zyretex due to mood swing issues with those two medicines. I stopped the garlic pills and Vitamin B due to stomach upset. If this itching/bug crawling/jumping sensation continues up until next week then I will go back to my doctor and request further testing.
Update: Nov. 15, 2010

I had to go back to the medical to discuss the itching. I'm a navy wife so I live on the military base. The Allegra which I normally take for allergies is not helping with the stinging/itching/crawling skin. Nor is the atarax helping either. I gave up and started using Bendrayl at night to get some sleep. Without it I cannot sleep. I am still taking the Allegra.

I was given a appointment with a Nurse Practitioner. They wouldn't let me see an actual doctor. The NP said she thought it was dry skin and reaction to premethrin. The same thing the other NP I saw said to me. So this NP said to stop the atarax, stop the garlic pills and whatever other supplements I have been taking. She looked at the few red pinprick dots on my skin and said it was from scratching.

Then she said not to use soap or Head & Shoulders Shampoo. She said to use Cetaphil for soap and use baby shampoo for my hair. She said the products I was using to wash and shampoo are fine normally but since my skin is so reactive that I need to use extremely gentle products.

Then she said to take short warm showers. After I get out she wants me to apply Eucerin cream not Lotion because lotion can have alcohol in it and make my skin dry.

Lastly, she said to take baths twice a week in Aveeno oatmeal soak.

I purchased the oatmeal soak and the baby shampoo.  I found out that Cetaphil had alcohol in it so instead I got Aveeno baby oatmeal wash and I got the prescription Eucerin cream she prescribed me.

I have been faithfully following her instructions but I am still itching and feeling the crawling/stinging skin.

I'm gunna give it a few days more and if nothing changes I will go back to medical. I think I may have to go to the dermatologist.

My theories are: 1 That Premethrin still somehow coming in contact with me.  
                         2 Somehow my cat dander allergy has gotten worse (my mom has two long haired cats in her house and I'm visiting with her currently.
                         3 There are bird mites possibly on my skin...though the problem with that theory is they would be visible and/or the NPs would have seen it by now. Also my mom would be affected by this and she's not...
                         4  I have a problem with my sweat?? That whole heat prickly thing.

So that's the end of my theories so far. All my blood tests are clear and I know its not my laundry soap since I use All Free and Clear. I suppose on a rare instance I could be allergic to allegra...but I'm not even sure that's possible...

Will update again once I know more of whats going on.
Update: Nov. 18, 2010

I discovered that the brush I'm using has been sprayed by premethrin. Maybe when I was spraying for fleas I accidentally got the brush. It explains why the crawling skin/itching is so intense on my scalp. Also the brush I've been using is copper infused. So just in case it was from a copper allergy...I changed to a plastic brush. I also purchased Aveeno anti-itch concentrated lotion. Its new and has calamine+pramoxine HCL which is the only thing that has stopped the itches on my scalp thus far. Also the bendrayl at night has been a big help.

My conclusion to all of this is that NP was correct. Dry skin + allergic reaction to premethrin.

It was just hard to fathom that crawling skin and itching was really just from that. If anything changes I will of course update this post.

I am replying, years after this comment, to complain about similar reactions and my quest to find the cause. I am now thinking that it is from the nail polish (esp. the base coat) that they apply on my manicures. If anyone has any knowledge of this let me know. Most of the polishes have cleaned  their act with regards to the ingredients, but at some of the Asian nail shops, I'm sure somethings can still slip by.
I highly doubt it's nail polish.  do you have any tiny pinprick red spots by chance?  if you take a lint roller, do you get any blue lint like stuff or ever see any black specks?  My daughters and I just got this stinging crawling biting thing a couple weeks ago (though I think I've had it coming for a while).  Losing a lot of sleep, as worse at night.  Drs are clueless, say nothing there, say no scabies...I still think some kind of mite, and allergy to the mites, we are sneezing more, since this started.  I also just got 2 mysterious parallel 3" scratches a few days ago, just appeared out of nowhere, while doing the dishes, I freaked out until I went online and saw that other people have gotten these mystery scratches.  Something made those deep scratches and it wasn't my dish soap or the devil!   Daughters are getting small scratch marks as well.   I'm thinking a type of demodex mite, but who knows.  I have a feeling we will be stuck with this affliction for a while.  We just ordered a hot tub, hoping to bleach it out.   I was in hot tub last week and my symptoms teporarily improved!  
Did your skin improve?  Did you find out whether it was Permethrin related or something else?  And miamites, did you find out what the sudden scratches are?  I'm getting all of these things too.  I treated with Permethrin as I thought i might have scabies, ended up using it 3 times due to different (contradicting) advice from doctors.

Now I'm getting pinpricks, bites, crawling feelings and cherry anginomas, as well as these scratches.  Don't know if it's the effect of the Permethrin or actual mites.  

The latest Dr says I'm mite-free, and isn't sure I had scabies to start with, he thinks I've been using too much cream and stuff on my skin and made it hypersensitive.  I'm so confused an worried I might be infecting people with doctors not believing me.

Would love to know if anyone's figure this all out.
I went to the doctor again, who agrees with previous doctors that it's an allergic reaction to something, plus that my skin is hypersensitive, possibly from repeated Permethrin use.  

He gave me Betmovate ointment, a topical steroid, to try on the worst areas, and Piritin antihistamines, to take 4 times a day.  I have to say that I've just started on these, and I'm already feeling a lot more human.  Still feeling the pinpricks and crawling a bit, but it has definitely improved some.  I'm not sure if it's psychological, or if the Piritin is just masking what is still going on.

It's really confusing and I'm not sure what to think, but I'm grateful for any kind of relief.

Keen to know if anybody else finds out more about this weirdness.  

Good luck everyone.
Oh, it's obviously part allergy alright, but to what??  fungus/bacteria/mite/other.  We did not use permethrin, but have several tubes of it. Trying to avoid it, since we never got a diagnosis after 6 doctors....Our symptoms also started with the cherry angiomas and the stinging pinprick bites, then progressed to bigger pimple looking itchy "bites", and  crawling mostly on head, face, privates, also stinging in the eyes (that's scary).   We, fortunately, have improved a lot since inital "outbreak" of these stinging, biting, crawling sensations,whatever it is.  My husband was not attacked like us girls, but did have the cherry angiomas (which doctors said, it's just an aging thing--my 5 and 14 year old are aging, give me a break!) and some pinprick bites initially and had mild crawling and says his eyes burn a lot form time to time....I have been taking colloidal silver and immune boosting supplements and anti parasitic supplements and have been giving immune boosting supplements to my daughters too.  No steroids yet.   Taking mostly homeopathic antihistamines and cut back on sugar and acid forming foods, as I've read that can help with the mystery beasts.   Have been researching a lot and see there are so many suffering from similar afflictions, it's crazy!.  Thought we had morgellons because we had so many of the symptoms but no fibers yet.    I still get a rash of small pimple like lesions around chest area that comes and goes.   My 5 year old just got 6 linear big bite looking things on her upper thigh and a culture showed bacteria so she has been on antibiotics...Our house has been inspected twice for bed bugs...We see no telltale signs yet...House was tested for mold too. Haven't had my rash bites biopsied or cultured yet.  Every time I schedule an appt, they fade so they can't get a good sample... We (knock on wood) haven't been getting scratched in the last couple weeks, however we still get some unexplained bruises in weird places.   Don't know if they were even related because we were getting those before the stinging biting stuff.  What was weird, and we still wonder if related, was that we had our first case of head lice (a light case) in the family and our symptoms started only about 2 weeks after we erradicated them.  We did not use Rid or Nix (permethrin), only a couple different otc natural remedies.  We did not seem to have any allergic reactions to those remedies, whose ingredients seemed fairly mild, when we used them...With all of the other symptoms I  also got these weird dark moles and my older daughter has white patches on her legs now, but again, we don't know if they are related to the rest of the symptoms either, but noticed all happening this summer!  We also had some weird immune symtoms (symptoms), such as chills in the evening, nail infections that would come and go quickly, I had symptoms of collitis for a couple of days and they found my WBC count up (though they didn't treat because my symptoms improved quickly).  I tested for lyme and was negative.... My older daughter, a couple days after "outbreak" felt like she swallowed something and immediately the back of her throat swelled on one side with a big pustule looking thing, but it went down very quickly, very strange!  Then one night, I felt like something bit my trachea, from the inside, it hurt so bad, it woke me up!  freaky!  Then there was and still is a little, weird tingling sensations in different parts of body...

We are just relieved that the symptoms are tolerable now.  I do see a lot more dust flying all over and have been vacuuming like crazy and washing clothes and bedding a lot and spraying with enzyme cleaner and just ordered dust mite covers for the comforters (we encased all the mattresses already) because now I'm so paranoid, especially since my older daughter has been sneezing her head off since our symptoms started and she is highly allergic to dust mites.  We bought 2 more air purifiers (we're going to get a uv purifier for our air handler soon too.   We keep soaking in our new hot tub with chlorine.  Don't know if it helps but at least distracts us!    Would be nice to know someday what exactly it is/was!!!  Our severe symptoms all started at same time, so we couldn't all be delusional!!   Who knows how it spreads, if it's contagious, or just environmental......People we've been around don't seem to be complaining luckily :)   It's definitely getting around, that's for sure!   We are on the east coast, fyi.   It has almost driven me to the looney bin, I'll tell ya.   Been draining our bank account too....
Did you ever figure out what is happening? I have most of those symptoms - itching, pinpricks, crawling, tiny red dots on my skin, cherry angiomas, even a few dark moles! Also I'm stuffed up. A very hot bath seems to help for a couple of days. Antihistamines also help but I don't want to cover up the symptoms, I want to know what's going on!
I'm also experiencing similar symptoms - itching, crawling sensations and occasional stings - no obvious rashes or marks, can't see any bugs; happens during day in my unit and increases during night. Usually my lower legs, can be on my arms and occasionally my torso - but mainly legs.

it's late Spring inAustralia and this happened to me at exactly the same time last year. Last year I was tested and tested for any biological health problems (thyroid, b12, even peripheral neuropathy)- nothing wrong there - but clearly as it's happening again in Nov - same time- it's seasonal and environmental.

That's all I know-that and that I'm not crazy!

I've considered scabies (but I don't have the burrowing) bird mites (still suspect though I did have pest control out and the problem is still here, and neighbours have no problems )

It's gotta be some seasonal bug/pest or allergen. I'm on wait to see immunologist for a comprehensive allergy test (the basic allergy test from the GP indicate no pollen or animal allergy but they only test common ones)

Hopefully it's an identifiable allergen!

No creams etc have worked - I can change my sheets every couple of days and still have the problem

Last year it lasted2.5 months ish through late Spring Nov to early Jan- mid summer.

Recent googling coukd suggest a grass or mold allergy??? It's the right time of year... Some kind of seasonal allergic dermatitis?

Anyone any ideas because this is annoying the crap outta me!

I'm outta ideas!
I'm not a doctor but I studied my body to find out what these jumpy bite feelings are all about and I agree with the fact that it has to do with trapped sweat but all over the body your skin pours are closed up by stress and when your body needs to let sweat out it heats your akin up and then you get the itchy feeling plus biting feeling and last of all you get red.bubbly spots in certain places on your body. The only cure for this from my research is exercise. You need to push yourself to the point where the sweat finally gets free from the pours.
Hello everyone suffering from biting/itching/stinging and crawling sensations.

I hate to break this to you, but this is most likely Morgellons disease. One does not need to see fibers in order for it to be Morgellons. The fibers are microscopic, and in many cases not visible to the naked eye. One can also have Morgellons and none of the skin issues like lesions.

Unfortunately, doctors are in the dark about this condition. You can run to as many as you like, but you will most likely not receive help and if you mention these symptoms to the WRONG doctor, you might get labeled with delusions of parasitosis in your records. This is very detrimental and can cause problems for you down the line. Few doctors are looking at the skin with a microscope, so they really are unaware of the phenomena that is happening. You need to diagnose yourself in this particular instance.

I've had Morgellons disease for three years and have a website if you would like more information.  http://morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com
What we know right now is that Morgellons sufferers have many layers of problems, bacterial, fungal and parasitic. Also, many of us who have been tested for heavy metals come back with a high toxic overload. Please keep in mind that the sensations of crawling and biting, although they feel like bugs, are symptoms. If they haven't found a bug on you, then you need to entertain the possibility that it isn't bugs. (See my "Reflections" page).

The brain is unable to discern the difference between the feelings of bugs, and a severe histamine (allergic) reaction. These symptoms are most likely neurological. Although there are some in the Morgellons community that actually do have infestations in their body, it is not the norm and is most likely related to a system that is so overburdened, that something has broken down—allowing us to become hosts.

My suggestion would be to go get yourself a cheap microscope (RadioShack sells one for $12) and look at your skin carefully. I will bet that you will find fibers. Also, you might see black particles.

Once you get a scope look at your bed sheets at any little specks, even the things that look like dirt or pepper flakes. View them in the microscope. I'm sure you will find fiber balls as well as the particles that come from the skin, often with fibers attached to them.

You can compare what you see under the microscope to the photos in the galleries. If you find black particles look at the page called: http://morgellonsdiseaseawareness.com/morgellons_photo_galleries/morgellons_particles_in_skin for comparison.

I would encourage you to investigate alternative practitioners, such as naturopaths, herbalists, homeopathy…etc. You will get more help from them. There is no one pill or cream to make this better. The ones that recover, rebuild the system from the inside out. There are many forums on the Internet dealing with Morgellons, and I'd suggest looking into them.

When I first became ill with Morgellons, I thought my life was over. I am one of the few that are now basically symptom-free. There are many of us finding our way, and you can too.

All my best,
Ayla

Did you realize by now that it's Morgellons?  Do you still have it?  If so, what are you doing for it?
Kills me these stupid doctors and NPs;   they always assume it's either your detergent or stress.  She should have toldyou DO use Head and Shoulders!