Itchy tops of feet

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy tops of feet

The top of my left foot was very very itchy the other day.  I couldn't help but scratch it intensely, and soon enough the skin broke.  I now have an open sore on the top of my foot that I have been treating with neosporin.  I have no idea what to do.  About a year ago I had the same thing on my right foot.  Same result: skin broke, and it is now healed, but there is a scar.  What should I do?
It looks like secondary infection has set in after scratching the area. However if this was a blister like sore which has broken open then the possibility of  a herpetic sore needs to be ruled out. Most individuals have no or only minimal signs or symptoms from HSV-1 or HSV-2 infection. When signs do occur, they typically appear as one or more blisters. The blisters break, leaving tender ulcers (sores) that may take two to four weeks to heal the first time they occur. Typically, another outbreak can appear weeks or months after the first, but it almost always is less severe and shorter than the first outbreak.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers