Itchy under my skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Itchy under my skin

I have had this problem for most of my life, and it has gotten worse as I grew up. I have a deep under the skin itch. It usually happens in my joints, such as my left wrist, and left ankle. For years it was my right shoulder blade, and could not stand anything touching it just because it would irritate my skin in an odd way. It wouldnt make it itch, but just the contact would drive me nuts! I can also not wear any tops to bed as this gives the same sensations. But now my wrist and ankle joints are constantly itchy inside, to the point where I am flexing them all the time to try to alleviate the itch, and all it is doing is making my joints sore and feeling over stretched. I am at my wits end. I have never gone to get it examined, because I thought who would believe me? I never thought it could be a condition, but i just turned 50 and I am getting so fed up with it. Its affecting my sleep, makes me fidget and I am constantly flexing both. Please tell me there is something to fix this?

This discussion is related to Itch under skin- cannot be relieved by scratching.
Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis). Other conditions cause itchy skin as well. Skin conditions like psoriasis or dermatitis, internal diseases like liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, iron deficiency anemia, irritation and allergic reactions to chemicals, wool, soaps, cosmetics and certain foods  can cause itchy skin.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Please take a second opinion from a dermatologist if the symptoms persist. He/She will start with the specific medications. If an internal disease is found, whether it's kidney disease, iron deficiency or a thyroid problem, treating that disease often relieves the itch. Lastly, Phototherapy can also be tried.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.