I've been using 0.05% hydrocortisone for about 15 years around my e...

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

I've been using 0.05% hydrocortisone for about 15 years around my eyes...

When I was 13 my eyelids began to swell and rash due to allergies.  The only solution I ever found was to use a potent hydrocortisone cream each morning.  While this worked, and I managed to clear up my lower eye lids, I've been dependant on it to keep my upper eyelids clear for 15 years.  My skin is definitely much thinner around my eyes, it appears darkened and recessed.  I don't fret about it, but I do worry that this is a really poor solution to the eyelid problem.  At this point I do believe I should worry about it, any ideas on what alternatives I could suggest to a doctor if they tell me to just keep using the topical steroid?

This discussion is related to Hydrocortisone and  long term use related skin problems.
Avatar dr f tn

Topical steroids are actually very safe when used correctly.  These  are used to suppress the inflammation in the skin. Although they are not a cure,  they do control and relieve the symptoms, such as swelling, itching and redness.  The skin on the face is thinner and absorbs steroid more easily, making it more vulnerable to damage by the steroid. The most common side effect is  thinning of the skin, and  fine blood vessels may swell and become prominent under the skin surface. It is best to discuss your treatment options and alternatives with your dermatologist. Following physical examination and your medical history, your dermatologist can reach a clinical diagnosis and can formulate the best treatment for you. Take care and keep us posted.