Jock Itch or more?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Jock Itch or more?

Thanks to all the information in the forums, I've just discovered the terrible rash & itch that has been growing between my legs for the past 8 weeks is "Jock Itch". All of the symptoms I have perfectly match those of Jock Itch except for one:
Is there an odor associated with Jock Itch?  I have what seems like a yeast-like odor that is not strong, but noticable, and I haven't read anything relating this to Jock Itch.
Also...I understand the fungus Tinea Cruris is the cause, but what does it do to the skin to cause it to itch so badly? Poison Ivy was not as bad as this, and I am curious why this stuff is so itchy.  
Thanks a million!
have you actually been to the doctor to tell you that you actually have jock itch.. there usually is no odor when you have it. a yeast like odor is usually caused from a yeast infection. even though its usually common just for girls to have it.. as a guy you can get it too..

Signs and symptoms of a male yeast infection include a reddish rash, itching or burning at the tip of the penis. Fortunately, most male yeast infections are easily treated with an over-the-counter antifungal treatment, such as Monistat (yes, men can use it too). Apply the medication directly to the affected skin twice daily for a week. If the rash doesn't go away, or if it recurs frequently, consult your doctor.

Thanks, that's what I was wondering.  I haven't been to the Dr., no insurance here...I'll research male yeast infections to determine if that's what I have.  Thanks again for your reply.

Jock itch is a fungal infection of the groin region in either sex though more often seen in men.It causes intense itching because it is a fungal infection and fungus causes activation of mast cells which release histamine which causes intense itching. Jock itch is more famous for the itch than the smell- and that's more a rather cheesy odor or musky smell from the fungus.

Wash your groin daily and then dry thoroughly by pat drying,not rubbing. A hairdryer is useful if you have hairy groins.The damp groin is an ideal site for fungi to multiply.Also wear cotton underwears and change them twice a day. and do not share other people’s towels.Application of local antifungal cream(terbinafine, clotrimazole, econazole, ketoconazole, miconazole) and oral antifungal drugs are the mainstay of treatment.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional doubts.

As already stated, jock itch is caused by a fungus. Yeast is a fungus. And yes, most importantly, jock itch can have an odor similar to what you are describing.
I wanted to share my experience. i thought it could help someone.

i had jock itch for a little more than a year before getting it cured. it was the hardest thing to get rid of i've ever dealt with and caused me a good deal of anxiety.

this is how i fixed it. i used prescription cream that i put on twice a day, i used a blow dryer to get dry every opportunity i could get, and i started bleaching all of my underwear. i also used a spray on anti-fungal that i brought with me everywhere in case i needed it, i bought a natural bodywash with sepia and tea tree oil that i used every time i took a shower, i also used over the counter anti - fungal cream. i wore shorts every chance i could.

When i first got it, i only did a few of these things and it kept coming back. It took some serious motivation to do all of these things everyday. So far I haven't felt an itch for a few days, and i have yet to let up on using medication. I had at least 4 or 5 reoccurrences before now and i refuse to let it come back again.

In the beginning i used lotion because i didn't know what i had and this made it a 1000x worse by the morning.

If you are reading this because you needed help, good luck. you will need it.