Dermatology Community
Keloid Scar from nowhere
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Keloid Scar from nowhere

Hi,
I have had a keloid scar on the upper part of my calf muscle on the outside of the knee. I have had the scar from when I was about 12 or so (I am 28 now). The scar is about an inch long now and a third of an inch wide. I have some questions about this.
- I don't remember ever getting hurt there. With such a big scar, I think I would have remembered. Question: Can you get a keloid scar formation from no apparent injury or from a very minor injury?
- The scar has grown in size and I feel it has been growing. So I am now measuring it regularly. Question: Do Keloid Scars grow so many years after being first noticed?
- I was scared that it may be skin cancer and showed it to a friend who is a doctor, informally. He said since there is some hair growth on the scar itself, it is not likely to be and there is nothing to worry about. Question: Does sparse hair grow on the surface of keloid scars?
- Finally, it pains occasionally and I wanted to know if this is common.
I have attached a couple of pictures to give a better idea of the scar.
Thank to you all in advance for your help.
P