Dermatology Expert Forum
Kenalog Injection

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Kenalog Injection

As part of my TMJ treatment, I received a Kenalog injection in my left masseter muscle.  Shortly after,  I noticed an atrophy in the masseter muscle close to where the injection was.  I asked if there were any side effects from the injection and was told that there were none.  I have since read otherwise.  Is this atrophy/muscle damage permanent?  I have read conflicting comments regarding this.  Also, I am now undergoing Electroacuscope/Myopulse treatment, which I'm happy to say has been successful (2 treatments thus far) for my TMJ.  Would  this treatment also help restore the masseter muscle and correct the atrophy?  I have read the following "It is an amazing treatment! It literally regenerates injured tissue by repairing damage at the cellular level."  

Your feedback is most appreciated.

sjen

Atrophy from steroid injection is reversible and when the skin is involved generally lasts 6 months.  Are you sure the atrophy is in the muscle and not in the skin overlying it?  (You can see the skin, not the muscle.)  I would ask the doctor who did the injection whether muscle atrophy is even possible.  Anyway, it should be reversible.  As for "amazing" treatments etc., I'm afraid I know nothing of them, but am skeptical, especially in  conditions where time heals anyway.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, kenalog injection was started.