Keratosis Pilaris on legs?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Keratosis Pilaris on legs?

I have really ugly, what is often called, "Chicken Skin" on my thighs. I also have it a bit on my upper arms, but it's not half as bad and I'm only really bothered by it on my thighs, as it's obviously not very attractive when wearing shorts. I know for a fact that this problem is very common, my Mother even used to have it as a teenager and grew out of it (However, she's not as pale, and didn't have it quite as bad) but I'd like to know a non-expensive way of treating it. I don't really care enough to buy all of these creams and so on specifically for it, as it's only noticeable if you look close up to my legs, or in certain light intensities; I would just like to find a good way so that my skin tone is more evened out, so that the "dots" are not so red. The thing is, the dots aren't raised at all, or at least not enough for me to feel them. My legs still feel smooth, yet this condition makes them look rough. I'm also very fair skinned, and my legs don't really tan properly, so that certainly doesn't help, so would using my tinted moisturiser on my legs eventually cover it up a bit to even out my skin tone a bit?

Thank you for any helpful advice. :)
  • skin condition (1 replies):
    If you a feel along my arms, chest and legs you will fee...[more]
  • Keratosis pilaris (1 replies):
    I have this skin disorder on my legs, arms back, stomach...[more]
  • skin bumps (1 replies):
    I have Small white bumps ,they are hard . I have them on...[more]
  • Bumps (1 replies):
    I shave my lower legs all the time but I only shave my u...[more]
  • Goosebumps (1 replies):
    What are, patches like goosebumps on legs and arms, for ...[more]
Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. There is currently no known cure for keratosis pilaris, however, there are effective treatments available which make its symptoms less apparent. Treatment includes tretinoin or Triamcinolone cream or Adapalene, a retinoid medication. Exfoliation, intensive moisturizing creams, creams and lotions containing alpha hydroxy acids and urea may be used to temporarily improve the appearance and texture of affected skin.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.