DERMATOLOGY
FORUM
Keratosis Pilaris
by Nick, Jan 02, 2000
Dear Dr.

My 10 year old daughter has a skin condition called keratosis pilaris which makes her cheeks appear red along with small bumps on her upper arms and legs.

At her age the red cheeks have become a reason for self consciousness.

We've seen a few dermotologists and tried many perscribed creams, none make it disappear.

First question is whether there is an alternate approach we can try.

Second question, what percentage of children outgrow this condition and at what age.

Also I keep reading that it is hereditary. I had a very mild skin condition as an infant and young child which at the time wasn't diagnosed as keratosis pilaris, it practically disappeared when I was 6 or 7 years of age. My daugthers is quite different, any connection?

Thanks,

Nick
Answer:
by Alan Rockoff, MDBlank, Jan 02, 2000
Nick:

Keratosis pilaris is a hereditary condition in which keratin protein gathers in hair openings.  (That's waht "pilaris" means.)

Kerain is what hair, nails, and top layer of skin are made of.

When kids get it on their face, they generally grow out of it around puberty or shortly thereafter.

it usually perists on the outer arms or legs, though.

Moisturizing and scruffing with a loofah sponge or Buf-Puf help, but need to be kept up and are usually not worth the effort in kids the age of your daughter, unless she wants to.

Best wishes.

Dr. R
Member Comments (33)
by John, Jan 04, 2000
DOCTOR,
by John, Jan 04, 2000
DOCTOR,
I AM A 24 YR OLD MALE AND I TOO HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH KERATOSIS PILARIS (OR WHATEVER)  AND HAVE BEEN MODERATELY SUCCESSFULL AT CONTAINING THE REDDNESS.  I AM MOR CONCERNED WITH THESE CONSTANT "BITE MARKS" OR HIVES, THAT ARE POPING UP ALL OVER MY FACE.  I ALSO HAVE A KIND OF WHITE PIMPLES THAT MY DERMATOLOGIST PERSCRIBED SOME CREAM FOR, BUT THIS IS NOT MY CONCERN.   I DO NOT HAVE FLEAS, OR ANY OTHER KIND OF VISABLE BUGS LIVING ON OR WITH ME.  I HAVE BOMBED AND SPRAYED MY HOUSE MORE TIMES THAN I WISH TO COUNT.  BUT STILL NUMEROUS TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY I RECIVE WHAT I CALL SMALL (SUMTIMES LARGER) 'BUG BITES".  THE ARE USUALLY IN THE FACE OR NECK REIGION OR ON THE CHEST.  SMALLER VERSIONS OF THESE BITES ALSO APPEAR ON MY ARMS AND LEGS.  MY DOCTOR SAYS THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF FLEAS OF SCABIES.  PLEASE HELP ME I THINK I AM LOOSING MY MIND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS ATTACKING ME DAY IN AND DAY OUT.
by AMIE, Jan 07, 2000
John, I'm not a physician.  I just read your post and it sounded like something I used to experience alot.  It has slowed with the years, but not gone completely.  My "bug bites" (exactly what they looked and felt like, except the borders rapidly change shape) were diagnosed as hives.  I was told hives are a reaction from your body.  When you have an allergy, your body releases histamines, thus, anti-histamines to relieve the reaction.  After journaling and a really horrible experience with sesame candy, I learned I was extrememly allergic to sesame seeds, it's oil, and it's butter.  For a couple of years I took a broad spectrum antihistamine at night.  So... maybe try recording what you eat and drink, everything that touches your skin, etc and recording when the hives start popping out.  I would get anywhere from 1 at a time to several, always face, neck and upper trunk.
Hope this helps--
by reba, Apr 25, 2000
Hello Doctor,
I have keratosis pilaris and I have tried every prescription
that is suppose to help control this type of skin
condition.  I have used glycolic acids alphyhydroxide acids,
retina A and numerous others and I exfoliate on a daily basis with loofahs and nothing seems to work. My doctors had informed me that this skin condition is not curable. If they have cures for cystic acne why don't they have a cure for keratosis?
I can't wear short sleeve shirts because my arms look awful.
Please, do you have any other remedies that can make this
disappear?

Thanks for your help.

Reba
by Zayna, Apr 27, 2000
I have Keratosis Pilaris, and at 17 years of age, I have still not grown out of it on my face, arms, legs or any other part that is affected. I have tried everything including scrubbing with a Loofah, creams, gels, you name it, I've tried it! I was, however, wondering if there are any alternate measures I could take, like surgery or laser, would that work??
    Thanks,
by Cindy, Apr 27, 2000
Hi, Ihave had these red pimples on my thigh area ever since I was a young girl.  I am now 40 years old and they are still there.  I am too embarassed to wear shorts in the summer time because of the red pimpley looking things on my thighs.  Do you know what this could be, and is there any way of getting rid of this condition on my skin. Yuk.  Cindy
by Joe, May 04, 2000
Dr,

I am a 25yr old Male who disspite living in the Caribbean for a year, still suffer from a red face (when the tan goes after about four days I return to my reddnes).  I used to work on a farm in all weather conditions and always put my condition down as a factor of that, but I still have it?  I have never been diagnosed with any complaint, just always told about my rosy red cheeks giving me a "healthy" look that I would rather loose.

The reddnes is particulary in my cheeks, mostley upper.  Any ideas what I can do to get rid of??

Joe
by nancy, May 12, 2000
ive just recently been diagnosied with keratosis pilaris.
im 15..but ive had it since i was 11 or 12.
how long do i have to wait till it becomes better? ive been waiting 3 years. i recently just bought the expensive gels..im just angry that my doctor didnt send me to a specialist earlier....im very shy showing my arms and back...but my face is clear like anything. no pimples at all...its strange..and i just have to accept the fact that it is genetically sent down from my mother..yet is the any way i can make sure my children dont suffer the way im suffering?
Im not questiong the will of god,, but is there anyway i can burn all the dead skin and pimples...then regrow healthier skin...or is that just my dream?