Dermatology Expert Forum
Keratosis Pilaris

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Keratosis Pilaris

Dear Dr.

My 10 year old daughter has a skin condition called keratosis pilaris which makes her cheeks appear red along with small bumps on her upper arms and legs.

At her age the red cheeks have become a reason for self consciousness.

We've seen a few dermotologists and tried many perscribed creams, none make it disappear.

First question is whether there is an alternate approach we can try.

Second question, what percentage of children outgrow this condition and at what age.

Also I keep reading that it is hereditary. I had a very mild skin condition as an infant and young child which at the time wasn't diagnosed as keratosis pilaris, it practically disappeared when I was 6 or 7 years of age. My daugthers is quite different, any connection?

Thanks,

Nick
Nick:

Keratosis pilaris is a hereditary condition in which keratin protein gathers in hair openings.  (That's waht "pilaris" means.)

Kerain is what hair, nails, and top layer of skin are made of.

When kids get it on their face, they generally grow out of it around puberty or shortly thereafter.

it usually perists on the outer arms or legs, though.

Moisturizing and scruffing with a loofah sponge or Buf-Puf help, but need to be kept up and are usually not worth the effort in kids the age of your daughter, unless she wants to.

Best wishes.

Dr. R
DOCTOR,
DOCTOR,
I AM A 24 YR OLD MALE AND I TOO HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH KERATOSIS PILARIS (OR WHATEVER)  AND HAVE BEEN MODERATELY SUCCESSFULL AT CONTAINING THE REDDNESS.  I AM MOR CONCERNED WITH THESE CONSTANT "BITE MARKS" OR HIVES, THAT ARE POPING UP ALL OVER MY FACE.  I ALSO HAVE A KIND OF WHITE PIMPLES THAT MY DERMATOLOGIST PERSCRIBED SOME CREAM FOR, BUT THIS IS NOT MY CONCERN.   I DO NOT HAVE FLEAS, OR ANY OTHER KIND OF VISABLE BUGS LIVING ON OR WITH ME.  I HAVE BOMBED AND SPRAYED MY HOUSE MORE TIMES THAN I WISH TO COUNT.  BUT STILL NUMEROUS TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY I RECIVE WHAT I CALL SMALL (SUMTIMES LARGER) 'BUG BITES".  THE ARE USUALLY IN THE FACE OR NECK REIGION OR ON THE CHEST.  SMALLER VERSIONS OF THESE BITES ALSO APPEAR ON MY ARMS AND LEGS.  MY DOCTOR SAYS THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF FLEAS OF SCABIES.  PLEASE HELP ME I THINK I AM LOOSING MY MIND TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IS ATTACKING ME DAY IN AND DAY OUT.
John, I'm not a physician.  I just read your post and it sounded like something I used to experience alot.  It has slowed with the years, but not gone completely.  My "bug bites" (exactly what they looked and felt like, except the borders rapidly change shape) were diagnosed as hives.  I was told hives are a reaction from your body.  When you have an allergy, your body releases histamines, thus, anti-histamines to relieve the reaction.  After journaling and a really horrible experience with sesame candy, I learned I was extrememly allergic to sesame seeds, it's oil, and it's butter.  For a couple of years I took a broad spectrum antihistamine at night.  So... maybe try recording what you eat and drink, everything that touches your skin, etc and recording when the hives start popping out.  I would get anywhere from 1 at a time to several, always face, neck and upper trunk.
Hope this helps--
Hello Doctor,
I have keratosis pilaris and I have tried every prescription
that is suppose to help control this type of skin
condition.  I have used glycolic acids alphyhydroxide acids,
retina A and numerous others and I exfoliate on a daily basis with loofahs and nothing seems to work. My doctors had informed me that this skin condition is not curable. If they have cures for cystic acne why don't they have a cure for keratosis?
I can't wear short sleeve shirts because my arms look awful.
Please, do you have any other remedies that can make this
disappear?

Thanks for your help.

Reba
I have Keratosis Pilaris, and at 17 years of age, I have still not grown out of it on my face, arms, legs or any other part that is affected. I have tried everything including scrubbing with a Loofah, creams, gels, you name it, I've tried it! I was, however, wondering if there are any alternate measures I could take, like surgery or laser, would that work??
    Thanks,
Hi, Ihave had these red pimples on my thigh area ever since I was a young girl.  I am now 40 years old and they are still there.  I am too embarassed to wear shorts in the summer time because of the red pimpley looking things on my thighs.  Do you know what this could be, and is there any way of getting rid of this condition on my skin. Yuk.  Cindy
Dr,

I am a 25yr old Male who disspite living in the Caribbean for a year, still suffer from a red face (when the tan goes after about four days I return to my reddnes).  I used to work on a farm in all weather conditions and always put my condition down as a factor of that, but I still have it?  I have never been diagnosed with any complaint, just always told about my rosy red cheeks giving me a "healthy" look that I would rather loose.

The reddnes is particulary in my cheeks, mostley upper.  Any ideas what I can do to get rid of??

Joe
ive just recently been diagnosied with keratosis pilaris.
im 15..but ive had it since i was 11 or 12.
how long do i have to wait till it becomes better? ive been waiting 3 years. i recently just bought the expensive gels..im just angry that my doctor didnt send me to a specialist earlier....im very shy showing my arms and back...but my face is clear like anything. no pimples at all...its strange..and i just have to accept the fact that it is genetically sent down from my mother..yet is the any way i can make sure my children dont suffer the way im suffering?
Im not questiong the will of god,, but is there anyway i can burn all the dead skin and pimples...then regrow healthier skin...or is that just my dream?

Is Kiratosis pilarsis the same as heat rash?
Doctor:
        I have really bad keratosis whatever my whole life, and I am 14.  It makes me conscious of my arms and legs when I wear tank tops, shorts, and t-shirts.  I spend a long time in the shower trying to scrub, and I have done this for about 2 years now, but I haven't noticed even the slight change!  I am going crazy and I have a lot of homework and do mot have the time or patience to just sit there and scrub till it bleeds sometimes.  My skin is soo nasty, bumpy and red!!!!PLease help me!
Doctor:
Dear Dr.

I have a skin condition called keratosis pilaris, and as i have fair skin it is very visible to see. i had went to the doctor whom a gave me some sort of cream for it. When i first put the cream on its quiet effective, although it did sting for a while.

However after couple of days of using the cream, my cheeks were quite red, and i had some spots on my face, which were like straches caused by the cream.  

I went back to the doctor who told be me to cut down the usage from twice a day to once day. But the condition did not improve, my cheeks were still red.

I decided not to use the cream for couple of days, until those spots/scratches healed. when the scratches did pealed off, it left scars on my face. And due to my fair skin the scars when very visible.

I am very distressed about this situation.

Do u recomend any other cream for the condition?

And are scars perminant, if not how long do u think it will take to heal?

Thank you for your help

jerry
KERATOSIS PILARIS PATIENTS:  I WAS HOPING YOU HAD SOME ANSWERS FOR ME.  BOTH MY DAUGHTERS HAVE THE CONDITION, AS DID THEIR FATHER.  APPLYING CREAMS "AFTER BATHING" IS MOST IMPORTANT.  ONE DAUGHTER WHO DOESN'T ,HAS FAR MORE REDNESS.  LOOFAHS SEEM TO HELP SOMEWHAT.  THE PSYCHOLOGICAL ISSUE IS TERRIBLE, ESPECIALLY FOR GIRLS.  WE NEED TO BRING MORE ATTENTION TO THIS DISEASE?  ANY IDEAS?
Dr.,

I am turning 15 in a few months and I was diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris when I was 12.  I've have tried the aggravating Lac-Hydrin creams that do not work at ALL.  It makes me frustrated and very mad that I have to live with this because I feel isolated and disgusted with it.  I am now trying the tetrinoin cream that works a little better than Lac-Hydrin but not fully...My Dermatologist seems not to care all he says is "Try this for 3 months and if it doesn't work, we've got some more we can try".  He does not understand, I'm 15 and hesitant to get involved in a relationship due my keratosis pilaris.  I've hit puberty and it still hasn't gone away, unlike others I have a coarse condition, it is all over my arm and my shoulders...It gets me depressed and mad sometimes because of the extra work I have to do like shower in the morning without skipping once because of the risk of skin cancer due to the acidic cream...Can you please recommend the best cream that I can use to get rid of it?  I'm already tired of this and kind of impatient because of the creams I use with no results...So can you recommend a good Cream that I can tell my doctor?  I will be seeing him in one month...Please help me.
Can you help me please.. I have gone to a doctor about a place in my eyebrow that is scaly and itchy and dark in color. It is not well defined as a circle but is of uneveness around the perimater,sometimes it is sore to the touch or when I raise my eyebrow. The doctor called it Hyper Keratosis and gave me a cream to use on it. Is this something I should worry about or is it benign?? Thanks for your help....Robbie
doctor,
my dermatolgist diganost me with keratosis pilaris.  i've been reading alot about the condition and i'm concern that my skin condition might not be keratosis pilaris after all.  the reason i believe this is because instead of  red bumps, i have brownish spots that are not bumpy (they might be brown because of my dark complextion).  however, they look alot like keratosis pilaris.  i have these spots not only on my upper arms, butt, and thighs but they appear on my back, chest, stomach, and i see them forming on my forearms now.  i've been to two dermatologists but neither said there's much that can be done about it.  i've been very fustrated and depressed over this.  my question is, have you ever heard or seen of any skin condition like the one i'm describing?  also, do you know whether accutane will help clear karatosis pilaris?  (i want to know this just incase my condidtion may be keratosis after all)  thanks dr.

***@****
doctor,

***@****
I've had Keratosis Pilaris for 30 years now.  The weird thing is that it has been slowly spreading down from the backs of my upper arms to my wrists as well as from the tops of my thighs to my ankles.  If this is hereditary, why would it spread during my 20's?  I had been told by a dermotologist as a child that KP would disapear by age 30.  Since this disease involves the hair folicles, would a laser treatment as used for destroying the hair folicle for permanant hair removal possibly solve this horrible problem?
I am a 34 year old woman who has been diagnosed as having keratosis pilaris and am posting this comment in the section pertaining to children's skin disorders because most information relating to keratosis pilarsis is found in this broader category.  Yet, I have reviewed so many comments from adults who also suffer from the symptoms.  Are there any indications of why this conditions persists in some and disappears by puberty in so many others?  Also, the symptoms I suffer from are not just the "goosebump" pimples on my thighs and buttocks, but they also itch and burn and sometimes make sitting for extended periods unbearable.  I've tried just about everything, including treatments for acnes, eucerin based creams, scrubbing, the works.

Is there no relief from this condition?  Help!??

p.s. Perhaps what I have is icthyorisis?
Hi i am 21 years old and my face tends to go red. sometimes it stays calm then goes bright red i have been told lazer surgery can fix my problem, but it is expensive no one has told me about creams or mousteriser, can they help. thank you
Dear Dr.
I am 14 years old and have had keratosis pilaris my entire life. I have it on my arms, face and legs. I was wondering if you can have it on your nees, lower arms and lowers legs because I think I do but I have read that it only appears on the upper parts of your arms and legs. Oh and sometimes I gently squeeze the bumps and white stuff comes out. I was wondering if that is ok to do. Thankyou.
Amy
Keratosis Pilaris or Foliculitis (folliculitis). Mine sounds more like Kertosis Pilaris since it started on the back of my arms also.
I had the same thing growing up (and still do). I can't remember not having them. It started just a little on the back of my arms when I was a toddler and as I grew older it spread slowly over the years around my body. My body hair is very light not hairy at all. It seems to appear where the body hair starts to appear. I am now 31 years old and it has appeared a little everywhere except my head, neck, hands, lower legs and privates. I don't think it would spread as much on females since guys spring hair from all over as they grow older. I went to half a dozen doctors growing up to try to find out what it was. Growing up I explained the rash to my peers as not enough vitamin C, too much milk, to much sun, not enough sun,... most of these were the doctors explanations.  Everyone's body has flaws and the sooner you realize this the more comfortable and happy you will be. I remember being very embarrassed about it and running around in a long sleeve shirt during the summer. I wish I would have adopted this philosophy sooner but no matter what my attitude is I'm always open to suggestions. I will give the alpha-hydroxy acid cream a try this time. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, the sun and salt water at the beach does seem to make the rash almost disappear for a short time. Over the years the skin seems to slightly scar giving the appearance of small freckles. I wish everyone luck.
I too have been diagnosed with Keratosis Pilaris. I have it on my upper arms, and upper thighs. I thought it would disappear as I got older, but it just seems to be getting worse. I am almost 30 and I AM STILL self-concious about wearing short-sleaved shirts. Everyone ALWAYS comments and says: "Wow, you got sun burned", or "Looks like you've got the goosebumps". It isn't either of those, it's the dumb "skin condition". I have tried EVERYTHING. Any suggestion on how to help with the horrid appearance? Is there anything that will help with the redness?
Thank You,
Dorinda
I'm a 32 year old woman and have had keratosis pilaris from childhood. My parents went to several doctors, but still no result. I've it on my arms and recently on my knies and the back of my upperarms too. It's is getting worse since a few months.
I thought it would go away by getting older? I went to a doctor and he wants to do some tests on me to see if I'm allergic to things that might cause this rash. He says it's rare.
What do you think?
I've learned to live with it, but since it is getting worse, I'm concerned.
Thanx for helping me out.
Sandra
Hello doctor, I have  problem of keratosis pilus, I have with this problem 6 or 7 years, but here in spain the doctor told me that my problem does not solution, that I have to wait 50 years.
He told me that the solution is wait a long time. my cheeks are red, and I do not like it, my question is, if exist a solution?
If this problem can disapeer with medicine, before of waith so many time.
Hi, my name is megan and i'm 16 years old. I believe i may have Keratosis Pilaris. I have red bumbs on my arms from the shoulder down to my wrist and on the inside of the upper part of my legs. I'm afraid they are starting to spread towards my back. I am unable to wear shorts and short sleeves because of this. I am very embarrassed by them. I don't even like going to dances or anything because i'm afraid that people may notice them. I haven't been to the doctor yet, because i guess i was mostly afraid of what it is. I've been trying to find some kind of answer for a while now by looking on here and then i came across this. Its better to know that i'm not alone in this, but still the way that everyone is talking it seems like i may have this forever. I would love to be able to put on a tank top or feel comfortable in a bathing suit. I too am afraid of relationships because i'm afraid that nobody will like me because of them. If there is anyone out there who has been cured by some sort of medicine for this disease please tell us. Thanks a lot for listening.... MEGAN
i'm 23 years old and my cheeks are very red. i know
Doctor,
I'm 22 years old and my cheeks are very red. I know that this skin condition is called keratosis pilaris. it's often written that this condition disappears with increasing age. it's very difficult to live with this redness. i want to know if this redness will disappear and when????? thank you for your help.
I am a very dark skin female and I too have the bumps on my arms,thighs,buttocks and lower legs.  Funny how it is not on my torso.  My skin has a sandpapery feel.  I was self conscious especially when someone of the opposite rubs my arms.  My dermatatologits told me that my condition is ICHTYOSIS. But, from reading all these post I beleive I too have Keratosis or we all have Ichthyosis. I have began to use Vitamin E Oil on my skin and I do see and feel a difference.  The Lac-hydrin worked for me but when I stopped using it the bumps came right back.  But my skin texure improved from the use of Lac-hyrdin.  I am going to use Vitamin A oil with my Vitamin E oil therapy and see how the two combined will work.  The Vitamin E alone has done wonders already after 3 weeks of use.
Hi i'm Tanya. im 14 and have keratosis pilaris on my face but i also have persistant swelling and redness of my cheeks and it gets very red and sore. they always blush in the evening and somtimes when my cheeks are blushing they go a tint purple.
they also flare up when i eat chocolate and spicy food or in the hot wheather, they are red all the time and very hot, One doctor said i might have rosacea but the other said i have keratosis pilaris. What's my prob? ....
Well I can plainly read that Keratosis Polaris is affecting all of our lives way to much. I myself do not go thru a day without pondering a possible solution or simply looking at my body with disgust. I believe, that to many of us sufferers it has become a serious complex. I really feel for the teens who have written. This condition has not been given near enough study.
As I read all of these postings i do feel better knowing that this condition isnt rare as u all know it feels rare when u dont notice it on anyone else. RIGHT. We are all in the same boat with this problem. Having this forum will definately be the ultimate cure. Take care all.
I too had this condition when I was a teenager, eventually went away and then returned when I was pregnant.  I've been told it can be hormone related-which I believe mine it and hormone treatment has helped each time.  Has anyone else had this type of treatment?

A related discussion, HELP!!! was started.
A related discussion, Can we just accept our skin? was started.