Dermatology Expert Forum
Lac-Hydrin and Keratosis Pilaris

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Lac-Hydrin and Keratosis Pilaris

My ten-year-old daughter has had keratosis pilaris (sp?) for the past two years;  on her arms and face.  I've had it since I was a teenager (on my arms, but thankfully is finally clearing up), and my mother also.  When I took my daughter to the dermatologist last year, he recommended OTC Lac-Hydrin for her to use.  Unfortunately, a few days after starting the use, even with 45 sunblock, she developed a bad sunburn.  After taking her to the pediatrician (I thought it was an allergic reaction), we found out that the ingredients in L-H caused sensitivity to the sun.  Of course, we stopped using it;  she's a normal kid who likes to play outside, and I didn't want to risk more sunburns.  My question is:  is there anything else besides Lac-Hydrin that doesn't cause this kind of sensitivity?  I know that my old dermatologist told me that 15 minutes in the sun a day helps, but it doesn't seem to be working for her.

One other quick question:  she's had an open blood vessel on her cheek since she was seven.  We think it's inherited from her father, who has several on his cheeks and nose(he's thirty, and rarely drinks).  Will it always be there, and will it "grow" or become darker?

Thanks so much in advance.
Athena:

To be frank, I never heard of LacHydrin causing sunburn, and I don't believe that it does.  Perhaps your daughter didn't apply it thorougly or it washed off.  I don't recommend you switch to another product.

Facial blood vessels often occur in young people.  If it bothers her, your daughter can opt for laser removal, which nowadays is simple, safe, and inexpensive.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Yes, as a matter of fact Dr. Lac-Hydrin DOES influence sunburn.  I've used it for 3 months with NO results except sunburns, it's on the warning label too!  It says you should limit exposure to sun.  The reason being is that Lac-Hydrin is 12% Lactic ACID which penetrates your skin and makes it "thinner" than it is, therefore it is easier for the sun to harm you.
Actually, the bottle did *not* carry a warning against sunburn;  I am very conscientious about my children's skin, and would not have used it, had I known.  And the information I received from the pediatrician was that L-H contains Retin-A, and that causes sensitivity to the sun.

Whatever the cause, I myself have an appt. with my dermatologist tomorrow, and I'll find out for sure then. :)
I don't believe your information that LacHydrin "contains Retin-A" is accurate.

Dr. Rockoff
I know now why I was confused by the Retin-A info I thought I was given, by doing a search.  The product she used was AmLactin, purchased OTC (like I said, on the advice of the dermatologist).  The Lactic acid in the product contains alpha-hydroxy acid, which causes sensitivity to the sun, along with stinging and irritation.  The FDA has received numerous reports about this from women who have a-h in their cosmetics and skin products.  I myself don't know why I wasn't irritated in this way by using LacHydrin, but it seems that AmLactin is not the best thing for my daughter.  So, I suppose I answered my questions myself.  Thanks for the help anyways, doctor. :)
I recently started using Lac-Hydrin and an oral drug called minoclclin for some type of rash on my arms.  The only results I recieved from these drugs was a ful body rash!!
Hi, i am 15 years old and i have had Keratosis Polarius for as lond i can remember.  I have been made fun of and all sorts of teasing.  I use Lac-Hydrin for the past year and it has NEVER given me a sunburn but it hasnt really helped my bumps either.  What has helped though is a mixture of things. Lac-Hydrin, lightly scrubbing in the shower, Alpha Hydrocy lotion,and a light aplliance of retin A. I know this sounds like alot but it has helped the bumps on my arms and legs.  The main thing is to get that layer of skin of and to moisterise.:)
Which Lac-Hydrin are you referring to - Five or 12%? Which is more suitable for light keratosis pilaris on the upper arms?

(I realise this is a question, but I would like for the contributors above to be able to view it somehow... Please place this message where it best fits)
My son, now 8 years old has had small bumps on his face for a few years. These were diagnosed by a dermatologist as Keratosis Pilaris. The treatment has been Alpha Hydroxy Acid daily. This treatment is at its best mildly effective and I see more and more litle craters appearing as scars on my son's face. I wonder if the diagnosis is correct and if so, is there any additional treatments that would be helpfull?  I wonder if a Benzoyl Peroxide soap would help in flushing his hair follicles and if adding Vitamin A, E and Zinc to his diet or facial creams would be helpfull. Is that a result of dry sebaceous secretion pluging the hair follicles? Thank you for your answer or referral.
Ron Koss
Ron Koss (***@****)
A related discussion, Doctor selection was started.