Large Blister on Inner Thigh

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Large Blister on Inner Thigh

To begin, I have several skin issues that may assist in helping me out here. I have psoriasis, dyshydrotic eczema and just generally dry skin worsened by blood thinners I take due to clots in my legs. I also have post-thrombotic syndrome as a result of said clots. I'm a bit overweight and my thighs have always chafed badly; doc stated that it was because of my dry skin, excessive sweating, etc.

A few days ago I went out and shovelled the driveway. The next morning I found a purple blister on my inner thigh about the size of a penny. It was painful, the skin around it was red and it felt like there was buildup underneath. I called my anti-coagulation nurse and gave her the symptoms; she told me it was just a blood blister, probably caused by the shovelling and that I should cover it and let it run its course.

The night before last, the blister broke up and begin bleeding. Mixed in with said blood was yellow pus that I noticed building up on the gauze along with said blood. I kept the area washed and covered and continued to follow the nurse's orders.

This morning when I woke up, it was still bleeding a bit and the top of the blister is now a open sore. There is still a bit of yellow pus now and again, and the spot still hurts but not much has changed. In doing some internet research I've found that blisters in that area are (according to various sources) not a normal occurence and that kind of has me freaked out. Turning to other internet sites, of course, just only increases the paranoia. Some say it could be herpes (I've never had any clusters of blisters), some say I should get tested for MRSA, some say its just a blood blister and I should just let it go. Ceasing said research I opted to post hear and hope for some decent comments, suggestions, etc. about this.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers