Large Bumps on Elbows & Knuckles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Large Bumps on Elbows & Knuckles

3800318?1230020697
For the past few years, I've been plagued by large bumps that periodically form on my elbows and knuckles. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to their appearance, other than that they tend to flare up and become more numerous if I scratch them or worry them.

I've tried lotions and basic skin creams, and I've also given Polysporin and a few other topical antibiotics a shot. Nothing seems to work.

The fact that they're a recurring problem and that they become more numerous when irritated seems to indicate that it's some sort of recurring viral infection, but I'm not sexually active and I've got good hygiene, so I'm not sure where I would've picked up something like herpes on my elbow. They don't look like scabies, and they're not persistent (they go away on their own after a week or two, provided I don't worry them).

I'm still in high school, and I'm somewhat hesitant to go to my parents about it, but at the same time I want to know what's going on. If it is something that can be dealt with, I want to resolve the issue once and for all, and even if it's something like herpes that can't be cured per say, I'd like to know so I can take the appropriate precautions to avoid transmitting it further.

Any help would be much appreciated.

From the picture and description of your symptoms,it sounds like xanthomas. Xanthoma is a skin condition in which fat builds up under the surface of the skin.

A xanthoma looks like a sore or bump under the skin. It's usually flat, soft to the touch, and yellow in color. It has sharp, distinct edges and are most often seen on the elbows, joints, tendons, knees, hands, feet, or buttocks.

I would suggest you to get these evaluated from a dermatologist and if need arises,a biopsy of the lump may have to be studied.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

I too have been plagued with the "bumps on the elbow".

I keep lotioning, neosporin and cannot get rid of them.

I am "40-something" and am very healthy.  I have been on Thyroid med's since 1984.

Never been to a Dermatologist.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers