Large reoccuring cysts on neck

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Large reoccuring cysts on neck

I'll first start by saying I had severe acne when I was younger (face and upper back) and was put on Accutane by a dermatologist.  That cleared everything up, although I still have scars and have what I've been told is "adult acne".  I still get a few odd skin problems on my upper back, though that never seems to bother me much and isn't why I'm writing.

To the point, for the last several years I've gotten many, many cysts on my neck.  I can tell one is coming almost immediately when I can feel a very tiny small hard spot on my neck.  Then I get the luxury of anticipating it growing rapidly to a very large size.  At smallest they are the size of a dime and at largest they are as big as a golf ball.  They eventually go away, but a single one can persist for a week or two, possibly a little longer.

I visited a dermotologist a couple years back who told me it's linked with acne I had at a young age and I basically have to just deal with it and eventually it will stop.  It's getting to the point now, years later, that "dealing with it" is becomming pretty unacceptable to me.

It's so bad that it's a complete celebration if my neck feels somewhat normal (no exaggeration), and I'm not very happy about it.  I generally get them below the jaw line on the front of my neck, but most recently in the past year I'm starting to to get them on the back of my neck as well, and the occasional one on my upper back; though these are never as big as the ones on the front of my neck.

Besides being unattractive looking, they also excrete pus (and sometimes blood if punctured) at the most unopportune times (like when I'm working).  At any given moment I can almost always count at least one on my neck.  As I'm writing this I have a hard golf ball sized cyst on my neck that's slightly above and to the side of my adam's apple.  I also have a few (3 or 4) smaller but still hard and visible cysts on the back of my neck just at the base of my hair line and one small one on my upper back.  Again, the ones on the front of my neck tend to grow very large in size.

I hesitate to go to the dermatologist again because I don't need to spend money to have someone tell me to "just deal with it" (and I doubt it's covered under standard health insurance).  I've had constant cysts on my neck for over three years now and my patience is really starting to wear thin.

Is there any possiblity to treat this, or at least steps I could possibly take to minimize the symptoms (i.e. size, number, and frequency of these)?  I've taken the dermatologists advice and have tried to wait this out for years now but it doesn't seem to be getting even remotely better.  I've easily had more than 100 cysts on my neck over the years and I really wish there was something I could do about it.  It's so bad that I gave up shaving years ago, and I'm never clean shaven.  I just use a trimmer at the lowest setting to keep myself presentable but even doing that I often cut myself and it's rather painful.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
The painless lump that your husband is having seems like a sebaceous cyst. A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac occurring just under the skin which contains a "pasty" or "cheesy" looking substance called keratin. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become unsightly or painful then it means they are infected, then surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision, and punch biopsy excision may be required.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.