Leg Vein Question

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Leg Vein Question

I am a 24 year old female and I have visible large blue veins on my legs.  There is one visible on each side on the front of my leg.  I don't think it is a varicose vein, as it is under the surface, but it is really close to the surface.  Do you know why my I can see these veins?  I've had them for as long as I can remember and they haven't changed at all.  Are there any treatments to get rid of visible veins if they aren't varicose or spider veins?  Thank you for your help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Veins may be located deep or superficial in the body.  Because the veins carry deoxygenated blood, they appear dark and blue. The two common conditions associated with blue veins are: varicose and spider veins. Both these conditions occur on the legs and are associated with increased venous pressure, hence the engorgement of the veins with blood.This results to veins which become large and distended and appear blue.

A medical diagnosis and evaluation will help determine the severity, and options for clinical or home-based treatment. Treatment options include sclerotherapy, laser surgery, minimally invasive catheter-assisted procedures, surgical vein stripping, ambulatory phlebectomy and endoscopic vein surgery. Discuss with your doctor which treatment option is suited for you.

Take care and regards.