Dermatology Expert Forum
Leukoclastic vasculitis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Leukoclastic vasculitis

I am a heathy 28 year old women who was recently diagnoised with leukoclastic vasculitis (confirmed by a punch biopsy).  The only symptoms that I have had have been the red bumps and swelling of my ankles and fingers.  Even at the peak I have not been sick or exhibited any other symptoms (never a fever).  I am currently taking 40 mg of prednisone once a day for the last two weeks.

Unfortunately there is not a lot of information on the Internet about Leukoclastic Vasculitis and I am very scared that something else could be wrong.  I have two questions.  The first is would a skin biopsy reveal that the vasculities is also in my internal organs (Wegener's, Churg Strass or others) or does a diagnosis as Leukoclastic Vasculitis mean that it is centralized to my skin.  My second question is what in the world could be causing this?  All auto-immune tests (lupups, etc) have come back negative and my red and white cell counts, urinalsys, CBC and all other blood tests have been normal.  Further I have not taken any medication in over a year and have not had a cold in a while.  Basically I just came down with this and now am very scared that it could be something internal such as cancer.

Thanks for your help