Dermatology Expert Forum
Light Brown/ Grey line on middle fingernail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I am a healthy 29 year old. I recently saw a line on my finger and I googled it and it came up with a few scary potential reasons. I saw my GP, he wasn't at all worried and suspected it was dietry related. I am here for a second opinion. I am not overly worried just obviously don't want to find out in 6 months time that it was something that could of been easier to fix if it was worked on earlier :)

I have provided a few images in the links below... With the naked eye you can see the finest of lines in the middle then colour surrounding it (you wont be able to see the fine line in the pics). To be honest I don't know how long I have had it... it could be years or months. I looked at some older photos of about 2 years and I couldnt see it then....but it is hard to notice.

http://postimg.org/image/hql9gh43x/
http://postimg.org/image/wdzblvv25/

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.... should I go see a dermatologist?
Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the longitudinal brown stripe on the nail. I have checked the photographs and it looks like melanonychia striata. It most often occurs because of increased production of melanin by melanocytes in the nail matrix.

Most people present with a history of asymptomatic hyperpigmentation of the nail plate. The other harmless possibility which I can think of is melanotic macule of the nail unit.

The causes of melanonychia striata are many and most of them are non serious which include physiologic longitudinal melanonychia, systemic disorders, trauma, inflammatory disorders, fungal infections, drugs, and benign melanocytic hyperplasias. However one of the concerning causes of this disorder is subungual melanoma.

I can understand your concern but to completely rule it out, an examination by a dermatoscope is needed.  The features that most commonly occur with melanoma include a brown background hue, the presence of irregular longitudinal lines, and the presence of micro-Hutchinson sign which has been described as pigmentation of the cuticle that is only appreciable with use of a dermatoscope.

Moreover if infectious etiology is suspected then a nail plate clipping can be sent for histologic analysis and appropriate cultures. For the same I would suggest to get it examined from a dermatologist.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.
Thanks I will go see a dermatologist to put it to bed. Thank you
Can I ask though... is the only thing we don't want it to be is a melanoma? Also what do you mean by systemic disorders?