Dermatology Community
Light brown discoloration on neck & chest
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Light brown discoloration on neck & chest

My 13 year old daughter has recently developed a light brown, patchy discoloration on her neck which is spreading to her chest. It appears to be under the skin, not raised, scaly or itchy, but it has spread in the past week. It is not immediately noticeable unless you know what her skin looked like before. She has not yet had a period. Could this be hormonal, or something serious like hemochromatosis? She also has some joint pain in her R knee and foot, increasing over the past few weeks along with the discoloration. I need to know whether to see a dermatologist or an internist or an endocrinologist...? Or perhaps just see what happens over the next several weeks to months?
Related Discussions
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out. I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be tinea versicolor. Tinea versicolor is caused by a fungus that lives in the skin of almost all adults. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity and immune or hormone abnormalities. Treatment involves topical and oral antifungal medicines. Most cases of fungal infections respond to over-the-counter products, which contain any of several basic ingredients: miconazole, tolnaftate, terbinafine, ketaconazole and clotrimazole. You can consult a pharmacist and get any cream or lotion containing these ingredients. Some of them are Lamisil, Monistat derm, Mycelex, and Nizoral. If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...