Light pink rash on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Light pink rash on penis

i have had a light pink rash under my foreskin for some time now and it doesnt seem to go away, what can i do to get rid of this it doesnt hurt, itch cause any discomfort its just something i dont want, I semm to have got it after my last sexual partner. its pink in colour (not so much red) and only on the end of my penis (knob under foreskin) please help

This could be - pearly penile papules or fordyce spots. You would need to consult your doctor for a confirmed diagnosis.

'Pearly penile papules are multiple, small (about 1-3mm) papules running around the circumference of the crown of the glans (glands) penis. They typically develop in men aged 20 to 40, and around 10 per cent of all men are affected. They may be mistaken for warts, are not infectious and require no treatment.'

'Fordyce spots are small (1-5mm) bright red or purple papules that can appear on the glans (glands), shaft or scrotum and usually affect younger men. They may occur as a solitary lesion, but frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100. They are painless and not itchy, but may cause embarrassment because of their appearance, or a fear that they might be sexually transmitted. '

Let us know if you need any further information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
I dont think thats right... 1 thing i forgot to mention is iv tryed an anti fungal cream and it seems to respond to it, (lessens in size and colour) but never fully goes away ? would this help in my diagnosis. thanks

This is a condition called balanitis.Balanitis is inflammation of the glans (glands) penis. Lack of aeration and irritation because of smegma and discharge surrounding the glans (glands) penis causes inflammation and edema.More common in uncircumcised males.

It is usually caused by poor hygiene in uncircumcised men. The inflammation can be due to infection, harsh soaps, or failure to properly rinse soap off while bathing.
One common organism associated with balanitis is a yeast known as Candida albicans.  Balanitis may occur because of excessive growth of Candida, due to moisture and warmth under the foreskin.

It can be treated by applying Miconazole, an anti-fungal medication.Most cases of balanitis can be controlled with medicated creams and good hygiene.

Inflammation has many possible causes, including irritation by environmental substances, physical trauma, and infection by a wide variety of pathogens, including bacteria, virus, or fungus—each of which require a particular treatment.

Retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. Apply bacitracin (not Neosporin) for pediatric patients if bacterial infection is suspected.
Apply topical clotrimazole for adult men with probable candidal balanitis.

If the symptoms persist, you would need to consult your doctor.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Thank you Bumika, altho I DO shower WITH soap twice daily and ALWAYS dry thoughly under the foreskin, I am off to see my GP tommorrow so I will let you know the results, im hoping its a reletively easy cure like you are suggesting. Thank you so much for your speedy respose too

Glad the post was of some help to you.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. You could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you need any other information.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
hello before iv had another chance to go to the doctor it seems as tho the rash has disapear'd ALOT, iv used an antifungal creme with not alot of luck but the last week it seems to have done the trick, iv run out of creme now and the rash is extrememly minimal.. should i stop for a week or 2 and see what happens and if it comes back see a doctor.. or should i use more cream and apply for 1-2 weeks after symptoms dissapear.. there is no itching, sore-ness etc any thing like that just the light pinkish rash under the foreskin... that even now is faded to the lightest if seen it fade to yet.. I shower and wash twice a day and dry thoughly everytime

Glad the post was of some help to you.

You could wait and see how the lesions heal - do consult your doctor if they persist or worsen. Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Hi its been quite some time now and this rash Still seems to be appearing BUT only after i shower! if im to shower / wash myself once i hop out i notice a light coloured pink red rash under my fore skin but once its dry and a couple hours later its no where or very hard to be seen, i think the warmer the water temperature the more server also.. Iv been to my doctor and had a full examinaton + blood tests and a urine test and all came back NEGATIVE, but none the less im scared to have unprotected sex with my girlfriend because I dont want to pass anything on to her. Can someone help me please
any help ?
Perhaps you are allergic to the soap or something you're using in the shower?
hi

i have recently ended a weeks course of antibiotics for a staph ear infection. on the last day of the course i noticed that my penis and foreskin was quite red and it was a little itchy. the itch went away quite quickly and the inflammation on my foreskin was the same(within a day or two). but i have had a few tiny red/pink dots which dont seem to be raised scattered about on the head of penis and near the shaft for a few days now. there is no pain/itch, they just dont look nice

i suspected a candidal infection, which was brought on by the antibiotics. i wash twice a day and have started using salt water since yesterday. i was just wondering if any one had any ideas or if my thoughts were right and if so how long can they take to disappear?

thanks