Dermatology Community
Lip Darkening and Dryness
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Lip Darkening and Dryness

I've been having  problems with my lip the last 3 months. Its amazing how such a small problem can affect you in the largest way. I've lost my self confidence and I am embarrassed about going out and people commenting on my funny lip. It all started with a very dry plasticy upper lip that was a little soar when eating. Somehow after constantly applying vaseline and lipcare products it totally disappeared and I was back to normal. Then suddenly a little portion of the lower lip went dark. Being black I'm used to hearing that black skin takes longer to heal but this is seriously ruining my life. the patch is not itchy or scaly, its just dark, and no amount of  vaseline can disguise it. It doesn't seem to improve in any way, just sits there looking awful. The dryness however comes and goes when it feels like it for the upper and some parts of the lower lip and sometimes an itchy dry rash on the edges of my lip.  Ive been to the doctor twice, the first doctor told me he didn't have any idea what the problem was and prescribed lanolin ointment. Well, the problem was still there so after some research I gathered that it might be lip eczema. The pharmacist gave me Blistex which quickly healed a crack on my lower lip but nothing for the rest of it. My brother has told me the dark patch makes me look unattractive and I know he's just being honest. I've been to the doctor today (a different one) and she's prescribed doublebase gel and hydrocortisone for around the lip. I'm really stuck and stressed out about it and i need help! Can anyone help me?