Lip discolouration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Lip discolouration

Hi everyone, I really really need your help.

this started around a month ago that my lips became really chapped and dry and they were really itchy and sometimes stung. Then suddenly I realised that my lips became so dark and blue-ish and when I took a look closer I could see that there were dark spots on my lips. I went to a GP and she gave me Elidel cream and Vaseline petroleum jelly - she said that it was an inflammation. Now, in terms of dryness, they're not so dry anymore but I still need to apply lip balm otherwise they will feel so dry (but not chapped). My lips don't feel itchy anymore but now the skin under my lips area feel a bit itchy sometimes. However, there is still discolouration on my lips. They don't look as dark as before, but still a bit purple-ish (not the entire lips, but more like dark splotch on my lower lips). Could this be a symptom of cyanosis? (Mind you, my skin is not blue-ish at all but I'm wondering if cyanosis can happen only on the lips?)

Any idea what I should do to get my lip colour back and can someone please give me explanation for this? (I've been brushing my lips with toothbrush btw). Does lemon juice really help, and if so, how effective is it? Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

p.s: I don't smoke and I drink a small cup of coffee every morning.
Firstly,It can be due to vit B deficiency.Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly it can be due to cheilitis. Thirdly,it can be a contact dermatitis to the toothpastes. Stop applying toothpaste on the lips, take some over the counter antihistaminic like benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

Avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips.You can also use a homemade ointment mixed from 1 tsp glycerine, 1 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp castor oil. Spread on lips overnight, refrigerating the leftovers for future use. Eat foods high in calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil. If a week of compresses and emollients don't do the trick, you can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.