Lip is disappearing
About a month ago i noticed a area on my upper lip has turned 'skin colored' or whiteish, white. I can see the line where there should be full pigment but is it becoming less visable and seems to be dissappearing. The area is about 1-2 centimeters long and thin, the area that is disappearing is on the border of where the lips and skin meet. It looks as though there is a indent of no pigment in my lip. I am baffled as to what this could be and have been obcessing over it since i am afraid it will be permanent. It sometimes feels as if the area is pulsing and is quite annoying which makes me even more self concious. It appears that, the part of that lip is losing blood or something of that nature? Please any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as to what this is. Thanks in advance. P.s. i don't think it is sun damage because i am only 17.
i took a better picture but can not figure how to upload it now....
This area mentioned is vermillon border which is a common site where chelitis occur.In your case it may be some irritation induced by lipstick etc.There is no disease,and your feeling the pulse is usually your own finger pulsations,ask somebody else to feel.Should they feel also, it may just be superficial vessels.
could this be the begining of chelitis, i have switched which chapstick or lip balm i i am using, but my question is what can i do for this or will the color ever return?
Only time is the factor,the body remodels itself after trauma.
the wierd thing is i can't remember any trama, the only thing i can think of is i had a hive in that area and applied an ice cube to it. I mean is that enough trama to damage the pigment like that? Sorry for asking so many questions but what amount of time wud i expect for something liek this to return back to nomal. It's almost like i woke up and it was there...
Post inflammatory loss of pigment whatever the cause does occur and difficult to treat.Do consult a derm,and there are external applications like tacrolimus which are prescription drugs.A few months of treatment may be necessary.
could it ever be too late?? it has been around a month and i am not schduled till the end of this month. I really hope this is not permanent because i am only 17 and have other scars from coldsores nd dont want my lips looking any worse. By difficult to treat what does that mean? could the icing of done this or wat? thanks again for helping me nd replying ALOT.
Also is there anything i can do in the mean time?
Mucosal areas take comparitively more time to pigment,nothing more to be done in between.
but this is not permanent right?
sure.
sure as in there is no answer to my question i assume...
By what I mean surely you get back the pigment but in time.
assuming with a combination of time nd the ointment u said... i was wearing retainner for awhile that poked at an area right above where the pigment is missing, should i discontinue the use of that until i get it adjusted correctly? i was think that it could possibly be blocking the blood 'pigment' to my lip. Thanks for the wise words tho, i am at ease now and not worrying that i have lip cancer or something..
I guess you leave it alone and be happy.
Well yeah but i can always feel it tingling , it feels as if a blood vessel broke or something of that nature.
I guess it is more an anxiety state and fixation,try to overcome it.It wont be a bad idea to take b1 b6 b12 multivits.
Will do. And yeah that definately is playing a role here but i will try nd over come it.  It just seems that the area is somewhat 'indented' which just makes me wonder what the heck happened. But hopefully nothing permanent as you said.
What did the doctor say
I just read your post concerning your loss of lip color.  I have been dealing with the same thing for approximately 3 years.  I have also started to lose color in my upper lip area.......I have 2 really pale spots on each side.  I have been going to a dermatologist for about 3 years also.....he's telling me it's hormonal.......I know it's not.  Have you lost pigmentation on any other parts of your body?  Let me know your outcome and I will keep you posted on any other answers I come across.
Same thing happening to me and the discoloration is spreading rapidly. It started last feb and now the 2 cm of lightening on the upper lip is now around my lower lip. Major spreading in the past 5 mos. I am seeing a dermo at the end of the month. I obsess over this and look in the mirror literally over 100 times a day and practically hate my face. I am praying this is not permanent. I have tried to get some answers and have had no luck. I hate this.