DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Lip is disappearing
by Soup92, Jun 16, 2009
About a month ago i noticed a area on my upper lip has turned 'skin colored' or whiteish, white. I can see the line where there should be full pigment but is it becoming less visable and seems to be dissappearing. The area is about 1-2 centimeters long and thin, the area that is disappearing is on the border of where the lips and skin meet. It looks as though there is a indent of no pigment in my lip. I am baffled as to what this could be and have been obcessing over it since i am afraid it will be permanent. It sometimes feels as if the area is pulsing and is quite annoying which makes me even more self concious. It appears that, the part of that lip is losing blood or something of that nature? Please any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as to what this is. Thanks in advance. P.s. i don't think it is sun damage because i am only 17.
Member Comments (21)
by Soup92, Jun 16, 2009
i took a better picture but can not figure how to upload it now....
by jagesh50, Jun 16, 2009
This area mentioned is vermillon border which is a common site where chelitis occur.In your case it may be some irritation induced by lipstick etc.There is no disease,and your feeling the pulse is usually your own finger pulsations,ask somebody else to feel.Should they feel also, it may just be superficial vessels.
by Soup92, Jun 16, 2009
could this be the begining of chelitis, i have switched which chapstick or lip balm i i am using, but my question is what can i do for this or will the color ever return?
by jagesh50, Jun 16, 2009
Only time is the factor,the body remodels itself after trauma.
by Soup92, Jun 16, 2009
the wierd thing is i can't remember any trama, the only thing i can think of is i had a hive in that area and applied an ice cube to it. I mean is that enough trama to damage the pigment like that? Sorry for asking so many questions but what amount of time wud i expect for something liek this to return back to nomal. It's almost like i woke up and it was there...
by jagesh50, Jun 16, 2009
Post inflammatory loss of pigment whatever the cause does occur and difficult to treat.Do consult a derm,and there are external applications like tacrolimus which are prescription drugs.A few months of treatment may be necessary.
by Soup92, Jun 16, 2009
could it ever be too late?? it has been around a month and i am not schduled till the end of this month. I really hope this is not permanent because i am only 17 and have other scars from coldsores nd dont want my lips looking any worse. By difficult to treat what does that mean? could the icing of done this or wat? thanks again for helping me nd replying ALOT.
by Soup92, Jun 16, 2009
Also is there anything i can do in the mean time?
by jagesh50, Jun 17, 2009
Mucosal areas take comparitively more time to pigment,nothing more to be done in between.