Dermatology Expert Forum
Lips turning white??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Lips turning white??

For several years now (I don't remember when it started) I've noticed two white spots in the middle of both my upper and lower lips (outer sides). It never caused any kind of pain or discomfort, so I've always ignored them.

Recently, I noticed that an extended area of the outer parts of my lower lips are also turning white from both sides (mouth corners), as if it's a progressing case of my lips losing their natural color. (When I say white, I mean like my normal skin color).

Again, there is no pain or discomfort, but I'm just concerned about what causes this and how to prevent it.

When I look closely in the mirror, I can tell that the white spot on the upper lip is really a lot of very small white dots grouped together, but on the sides it's just like normal white skin (just like my body color).

I've been trying some lip balms and vitamins but I'm not sure that's helping. I am 25, and haven't been sexually involved for over a year now.

What would you advise me to do?

kyn
I think you may have Fordyce's condition.  This is a common anatomical variant in which sebaceous (oil) glands, which cover the skin (where you can't see them) appear against the pink background of the lip (where you can.)  This has no significance, can't be caught or transmitted, and so on.

My advice is to see a dermatologist for proper diagnosis.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff

Thank you doctor. I have looked up some information on the web on the condition that you mentioned, and it does sound like what I have.

Is there some non-prescription cream or gel that you could recommend?

Some web site recommended the following:

Tretinoin cream or gel
TCA chemical peels

Do you have any recommendation?

kyn
Frankly, I haven't found anything (laser included) that makes a consitent beneficial difference in these bumps.)

Dr. Rockoff