Dermatology Expert Forum
Little White Spots-Where do they come from?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My skin problem started when I was about five years old. My mom says, I came down with a fever and when I woke up from a nap I had on little white spot on the tip of my nose. That one sopt multiplied into many, many spots all over my body. I have never seen anyone with this concidton. It is not contagious, itchy, or even in very high contrast with my "normal" color. In addtion to the white spots I have very dry skin and sometimes I get little raised pathes which flake off after a few days. I have tried several creams such as hydrocortisone and Nizoral Shampoo. I was wondering if any one has heard of such a condition and possibly know of a treament.
Jocelyn:

I can't say from your description.  This sounds uncommon, and since we don't do a very good job of adding color to skin, probably hard or impossible to reverse.  Still, you need to ask a dermatologist to look.  I suggest consulting one at a local academic medical center.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Hi i'm wondering if u actually have been perscribed the hydrocortisone cream for these spots, seeing as how they are not itchy, this isnt the thing thats going to help them heal. hydrocortisone's function is to releive itching and rashes and is an anti-inflamitory aswell. used excessivly hydrocortisone (depending on the strength) may damage your skin so be careful with it. i recommend u go and see a doctor about these white spots, it could be some sort of infection, but im not sure.
as for the very dry skin, i have the same thing aswell as eczema
and i use diprobase cream on the affected skin patches every morning and a cream called eumovate which is a brilliant thing, and gets rid of the dryness over night, however u have to keep on using it, and there have been reports of a thinning of the skin due to excessive use, so u gotta be careful.

hope u sort it out
peace
Regarding the small white spots, I believe I have the same condition. I was told by a Gynocologist, of all people, about them. She said it was a form of Dandruff / Fungus that is contracted much like athletes foot. She told me to rub Selsun Blue (she said that it had to that specific kind) dandruff shampoo on it real well before I went to bed, then shower it off in the morning until is was gone. This works OK & is a cheap an easy way to start treatment. But I am going to see a Doctor about it soon & will pass on any important info.
Good Luck to us all :o)