DERMATOLOGY
COMMUNITY
Little purple bump on the border of mucosa and flesh of my lower lip
by carybear, Mar 08, 2009
can some one please give me some indication as to what this very tiny purple bump just on the inside of my lower lip is? It has been there before, it's painless, and went away before too. It's taking longer this time. it's not the bump you can see but the discoloration which is slightly purple. I will mention that I have Dermatitis Herpetaformis on my hands. I am wondering, is this a manifestation of the dermatologocal condition I have mentioned, or is it something else? Is it possibly cause by grinding my teeth at night? HOW DO i GET RID of IT!!!???
Member Comments (2)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
by Dr J SinghBlank, Mar 08, 2009
The bump can be due to your grinding of the teeth at night but the other possibility is of a mucocele.

It is a rubbery, bubblelike painles swelling. It is usually inside the lower lip,under the tongue or the inside of mouth and caused mainly by biting the lips or trauma during eating of food.

Usually it goes away on its own.But if it does not,then corticosteroid injections and surgical removal by scalpel or laser are done by a dermatologist.It then has to be differentiated from other mucocutaneous lesions also.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional doubts.

by carybear, Mar 11, 2009
It hasnt gone away yet, its about 2 weeks. it's very tiny...are you sure that is what it might be?