Dermatology Expert Forum
Little red bumps on penis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Little red bumps on penis

I am 22 years old and for about 8-9 months the head (upper part) of my penis has been abnormally red.  It doesn't really bother me that much just sometimes it is sensitive (like when my boxer rub it when I walk or a wet bathing suit seems to annoy it).  In the red area (not the entire area) there are about 50-100 very tiny little red bumps that can only be seen when you stretch the skin.  They haven't multiplied or spread they seem to stay in the same area.  They have always been there since I noticed the redness.  I have never had any fluid come from them, they have never blisters or scabed over, they have never enlarged in size or ever changed color.  I have never had any painful urination or any of the symptoms I have read that are associated with gential (genital) herpes.  

I have been to a doctor twice to show him these bumps.  The first time he told me it just looked like dry/irritated skin and he recommended mosturizing lotion.......Well, that didn't work and so I went back the next time and he gave me ketoconazole creme (2%) and that did not seem to help......It has really had me down lately and I would just like to know what it is.  I asked him both times if he thought it was herpes or genital warts and he said (very sure of himself) no........BUT it hasn't gone away yet and the longer I have it the more it seems to bother me.  Can anyone provide me with any info or perhaps someone has had a similar situation...??

I have been looking around on the internet searching for answers and the bumps look a lot like pearly penile papules (they look like the 1st picture on this website except they are a lot smaller and are not on the rim....http://www.studenthealth.co.uk/leaflets/NormalVariantsInAnogenitalSkin.htm) or fordyce spots (I do have these on my upper lip).  Can it be connected?  I have had unprotected sex in the past but none of my partners have never mentioned an STD to me.  Can the redness have anything to do with me being stressed out about the whole situation?  I think about it daily and it has gotten me down from time to time.  The redness seems to be at a minimum in the morning when I wake up.  Could it be b/c I am thinking about it?  Again, I am in the dark when it comes to this matter.  I would appreciate any and all answers to help clear my mind....Thanks
These symptoms certainly don't sound like herpes or warts or an STD.  Your suggested diagnoses (pearly penile papules or Fordyce spots) sounds possible.  I don't know what you mean by, "Can it be connected."  Can what be connected?  These diagnoses certainly can't be connected with genital warts or herpes.

I'm inclined to think that the redness is a variant of normal that you're focusing on because you're worried.

If the doctor you saw doesn't convince you that it's best to leave the redness alone and ignore it, I recommend you see another doctor you have confidence in for a second opinion.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I'm no doctor, so this is just an opinion.  From my experience with herpes (unfortunately, personal experience) what you have doesnt sound like herpes.  First, herpes usually presents as blisters (one or more) that usually go away in 7-10 days, maybe a little longer.  It doesn't hang around constantly for 8 months.
Im not sure about warts and such, just unfortunately, herpes.
Also, are u playing around with it all the time?  This obviously will keep the skin irritated.
I would probably seek a second opinion for your own peace of mind, but I dont think it sounds like herpes.  I would think moisturizing cream also is not such a good idea on the genitals, but I could be wrong.
Regards,
Pan
DermMD,

WHen I stated "can it be connected" I meant connected with the Fordcye spots on my upper lip....can those be connected with the bumps on my genital or vice versa.
No.

Dr. Rockoff
iam 15 yrs old, and i have little pimple like bumps all over my penis, mostly on the shaft i find i can squeeze these bumps and white stuff oozes from them, im worried this is an STI??
Could the "normal" bumps be painful.  Is it bad for a few of them to be painful?
hi dr.
about 5-6 months ago i had a few red bumps by the bas of my penis. these bumps turned into scabs in a couple of days. after about a week, completely gone-no trace of them at all.

a month or two goes by and i get a few more similar bumps (by bumps i meen very small redish areas) located by the area where the shaft meets the head. again these turned to scabs and in a week or so completely gone.

this last time again by the head area, afew bumps, 3-6 bumps, they look like maybe an I.V. was pulled from the skin, or needle inserted , thats about the size of the redness; but just like the last 2 times, turned into scabs and dissapeared. when i get "them" i cannot make a rx visit in time before they are gone. im in the military, and get blood tests frequently, but nothing has ever turned up, or id be well aware of it.

if the timing has been the same, i should be getting a few bumps here in about a month. any ideas at all?
ive looked at many web sites, and all pictures ive seen have just about made me sick, and i dont have anything like any of those pics..

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated
-james
Hi Dr.

I'm 18 years old (sexually active) however I only practice the sexual act with my partner, and shes completly clean. For more than 6 months I've had a lot of little things in the bottom part of the head of my penis.They almost look like zits or very little warts.I'm not circumsized, I havent gone to a doctor, I guess I've been to shy do it... However a long time has passed and the little things dont seem to go away. What can you tell me about it doctor?

Thank You

-Will
for the past 5-8 months ive had a brown spot on the head of my penis. lately a few more smaller ones are begining to appear.  there are hard to see, but more noticable once i get out of the shower.  there is also a white spot now as well.  ive had 3-4 std test in the past 8 months, while all have come up neg. and have shown a docter and dermatologist several times.  they both say they dont see anything i shud worry about, but this isnt something i can ignore or be confident to show a sex parter. please dr. or anyone give me advice on what it may be.  i have had many dreams about it and have been very stressed about it.
A related discussion, Penis rash was started.
A related discussion, red bumps on penis.. was started.