Little red "goosebumps" on backs of arms/shoulders.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

2560978?1203983957

I'm a 25 year old male, and for years now (I've lost track of how long I've had this) I've had these tiny little raised red dots on the backs (and sides) of both of my upper arms and shoulders. They are like goosebumps, but red and always there. They don't itch, they don't hurt, they don't do anything but look ugly.

I included a picture of the back of my upper arm. From the elbow down it looks perfectly fine. Both upper arms look like this... all the way up to the back of my shoulder sort of onto my upper back.

A lot of the little red marks seem to have a hair growing through them. It's almost like each red dot is a clogged hair follicle, and many hairs have grown up through them.

I've looked this up on my own, and the closest thing I could find was something called "keratosis pilaris." I've looked at pictures, and some look nothing like what I have, and others look fairly similar. I'm not sure if that's what this is, but it's the best match I've found on my own.

I was wondering if this is indeed what it is, or, if it's not, what is it? And, either way, I'm also wondering what I can do to get rid of it or at least lessen it?

I was thinking of changing body soaps... specifically to Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash, which contains 2% Salicylic Acid. Would that be a good idea or would it possibly make it worse?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Just a few clarifications since the image is quite small.

Do the lesions ( allow me to call them lesions) appear only on the areas you have mentioned?

Are these lesions flat or elevated?

Do they contain fluid ( pus or clear fluid)?

What aggravates or relieves the symptoms?

Thanks for the reply. If you would like a larger picture I will gladly take one. I think this site actually resized it as it was originally bigger than it currently appears. Getting to your questions...

It appears only on the backs (and somewhat on the sides) of both of my upper arms. It then continues up onto the back of my shoulders/upper back. They appear no where else on my body.

They are slightly elevated. If you rub your hand over the area, you can definitely feel them.

They don't appear to contain any sort of fluid.

I have yet to find anything that improves it, but then again I haven't really tried anything. I also can't think of anything that aggravates it. It pretty much stays consistent.

If there is any other information you need, please let me know. Thanks again for the help.
I have the SAME problem dear. What I have found to work best for me is to use a rough exfoliating sponge, like a loofah and scrub away in that area using a mild body soap. I use Dove nutrium, it comes in a bar or body wash, whichever you prefer. After showering I use Nutrogena Multi-vitamin acne treatment lotion. I know acne isn't your problem here but something in this lotion works. I also apply it before bed. If you do this on a daily basis it helps so much, believe me. I didn't used to wear sleeveless tops, because lets face it, rough, bumpy arms are just not attractive on a young woman. Sleeping with a humidifier in the room helps if it's really bad, especially in winter months. But exfoliation seems to be the key...
I hope this info helps you a little bit, I know how embarrassing this condition can be.
I have the exact same thing. It's called keratosis pilaris and I was told that you can treat it with an OTC moisturizer that contains lactic acid, like AmLactin. You're supposed to put it on once a day until symptoms improve. It can take about 2-3 weeks for it to look better. I have not tried it, but I definitely will.