Dermatology Expert Forum
Little red pinprick like bumps.

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Little red pinprick like bumps.

For some time now, I seem to "break out" in the little red bumps on my hands. They appear only a few a day. Not clustered up or bunched in one area. I can tell when any are popping up because it will itch a bit right before they appear. Then they get a bit sore, like a sliver. They then proceed to itch a bit and the skin will get dry. They appear to turn into some kind of wart under the skin. White, silvery bumps deep under the skin. It used to happen only on my palms but I've noticed that they are coming up on my fingers, tops of my hands and on my wrist. My two year old baby seems to have "caught" some because the outside palms of his hands are all red, inflamed, and itchy with these little bumps. The look like pinpricks. I don't think it is any skin disorder (ie. eczema, psoriasis). I'm thinking some kind of fungus or bacteria? Maybe some kind of wart epidemic? Could it be a form of the streptococcus germ? Or possibly candida germs? I am stumped. I also don't think it is any form of bugbite. It has been happening on and off for about 4 or 5 years now. Not seriously irritating but am alarmed at the recent discovery of these bumps on my baby's hands.(He's a bit irritated by them) (And my husband even spotted a few on his own arm!) These "outbreaks" happen only a few times a year. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks a bunch in advance!!!
Heidi:

Many patients ask questions like yours, Heidi, but I've always been a little puzzled by them.  How could an infection (whether from a wart, a virus, a bacteria, or a fungus) come and go over 5 years?  And if this were contagious, how could it go so long without being transmitted to anybody?

The answer is that it couldn't, because it isn't an infection. An allergy is also very unlikely (again, what could you be using off and on for years which would correlate with these outbreaks.)

From your description, it sounds much more like eczema, which produces little blisters or bumps like the ones you describe, or else folliculitis ("blocked pores.") Each pf these may pop up from time to time in many people for no particular reason.  Stress could be a factor as well, inducing burning and itch.

My advice: go to the driugstore and get some 1% hydrocortisone cream and some Sarna lotion or Benadryl cream.  Apply the hydrocortisone twice a day to all affected areas, and one of the other two as needed for itch as many times a day as you want.

Also, make an appointment to show your rash and your baby's to a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis and management.

Good luck.

Dr. R
I forgot to mention.......
   The warty appearance only appears on the palms of my hands and fingers. And these bumps seem to not break out as much if I wash my hand like 100 times a day. (Duh!)
Dear Dr,

My appologies but its been over 3 weeks and I cannot post.  I"ve noticed blueness to my feet and toes, no pain involved or anything, i'll simply look down and notice.  Saw my Dr and he said it was just an oxegen issue, im a taller woman and says take longer for the ovegen to reach, I was worried about Raynauds syndrom (syndrome), apparently this is different?  Anyhow is this some skin problem or is this nothing?  Thanks for your time
Blueness without pain is just physiological (i.e. in the range of normal.)  No matter how tall you are, your toes are not too far from the heart to get oxygen.  Circulation slows down in the toe tips, leaving more time for tissue to extract oxygen and thus leave the blood looking bluer.  Cold accntuates color change. Best advice: don't look.

Dr. R
Now this is embarrassing so bear with me.  I've been diagnosed with Genital Herpes.  (That part really sucked)  But that's not what this is about.  I just wanted to let you in on the 'diseases' I know that I have.  Anywho, my partner, who's been updated, had a small nodule on her upper pelvic region.  I noticed it and asked her about it and she had it checked out.  The doc didn't make much of it and pulled the head off and it went away.  This little nodule looked like a regular pimple, but looked as it had a small induction in the middle of the head.  Her's never returned, but now, I have a small army of these little sucker all over my pelvic region (about nine at least.)  All look similar to what she had.  Now  I've tried to pop the little buggers, like her doctor did, but mine become agitated and simply come back, kinda like a zit that you try to pop.  I thought that these might be some kinda warts or something so I tried some Compound W..nothing.  the doc gave me something called Condylox (i think fo th treatment of genital warts)  All that di was irritate the skin and they didn't go away.  Wanna shed some light on this subject???  Please???
For years now I've had little red dots on my thights that will not go away.  I have also notice that my sister has them as well.  any suggestions on what it could be?
A related discussion, My hypothesis was started.