Dermatology Expert Forum
Little white spots that won't burst and seem to spread

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

My girlfriend has a number of small little white spots which seem to be spreading around areas of skin on the face such as eye lids, cheeks etc.

These spots seem impossible to pop and don't seem to be going away. I have also now noticed that i have one on the top of my nose near my eye and I am beginning to wonder if what my girlfriend has is infectious.  

The spots look a lot like normal spots but instead of getting a head they simply go white (a bit like spots that have not come to the surface).

Is there any thing we can do to make these go away and what are they?
Thy are most likely milia, small cysts,  They are common, but not contagious.  Popping them is not going to get rid of them--more likely it will just make them more noticeable.  They can't be prevented.

Having said all this, I must add that to get a definite diagnosis, your girlfriend will need to see a doctor in person.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I have looked at some pictures of Milia and I dont think they really are what she has (the look different). They are not bumps under the skin but clearly visible white heads/ growths which stick out above the skin.
I have the same condition as your friend.I am told that they are a calcium deposits and they are not contagious.I am not sure but they do after a few months to years harden up and fall off.But, they still keep coming.I started getting them a few yrs ago.I am 38 yrs old now!I have yet to see a Dr.but I do intend to soon.I will keep you posted on the results.
I didn't see the pictures but my daughter had a rash that sounds simialr. It was itching and spread from her  bottom and down her leg.Then my son got it too. I don't remember the name, but our doctor said it was a skin virus that had no cure and took anywhere from 3-6 months to heal itself. It is contagious and the only way to cure it was to pop each nucleus b/c each spot has a white center.  He said it was too painful to do that to kids and that's why she just had to outgrow it. He also said adults usually got it on their face. Sorry I can't help you out with a name. It was months ago that this happened.
Unfortunately, I too have milia.  They are only on my forehead.  I saw a dermatologist, who told me what they are called.  She removed quite a few; it was a little painful, but they do seem to come back.  It is a problem with the sloughing of your epidermis.  Seems the skin doesn't slough off.  I have tried ProActiv...............at first I felt it was helping, but not the miracle I had hoped for.  I have always been complimented on my skin, and so these bumps really bother me.  And also, when it is hot and humid, they itch!  By the way, I am 54 years old.  Do a search on google for "milia" and you will find out a lot of info on them.  Certain products, mousse, etc, even certain skin creams (mostly ones with oil) can cause them.  If that is the case for you, it would/should be an easy cure.  Lately, I have been applying just plain vinegar (with a cotton ball) after I wash my face.  It seems to be helping a little, but again, no miracle cure.  Vinegar is acetic acid, and is a mild exfoliation agent, you might say.  I read about it on line....thought it was worth a shot.  I like it, but still have them on my forehead.  If anyone has a product that has really helped GREATLY, please share it with us all.  No one wants to have milia!