Dermatology Expert Forum
Livedo Reticularis

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Livedo Reticularis

Hello Doctor,

I have had a mottled look on the inner side of both knees
for as long as I can remember. No one could diagnose this.

Last year this mottled look appearred on both arms below
the elbows.  This happened in the Summer and lasted 2-3 weeks
and then disappeared.  It is back again on the arms.  The knees always have the mottled look. Sometimes more prominent than other times.  I had seen a dermatologist in the past with no answers.  

I have recently read up on this condition and seen pictures and THIS IS ME!!!   Can you tell me how serious this condition is?

Are mottled rashes indictive of another disease process going on?

Why now are the lower arms getting involved? I read up on this condition on a Dermatology Web Site.

Thank You for any help in this matter?

Carolyn

Carolyn:

Livedo reticularis refers to a netlike pattern of redness and mottling.  In most cases it is not associated with internal disease, and has neither cause nor specific treatment.  When more blood flows to the skin (in hot water, for instance)or when the skin is chilled, the appearance can be accentuated.

Beyond that, there really isn't much more to say.  If you're not comfortable with the dermatologist's diagnosis, perhaps you should seek another opinion.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I had mentioned that the under skin mottled look is only on the lower arms. Looking today, it is on the upper arms also.  Thank You.