Dermatology Expert Forum
Long time weird looking Mole on leg

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Long time weird looking Mole on leg

I am a 30 year old, a male and have dark hair and skin. I am 1/4 Japanese.
I recently read an article online about dangerous moles that can be cancerous and I am a bit concerned. I have had a mole on my leg that is about the size of a pencil eraser as long as I can remember ( since at least 10-12 years old). I am 30 years old, a male and have dark hair and skin. I am 1/4 Japaneese.

The mole is on the inner part of my knee, in a place that rarely ever sees sunlight. It has shades of brown and dark brown, irregular borders and is perfectly flat. it sort of looks like it is leopard spotted. It has always looked much like this and in the past 5-7 years it has not noticably changed in size, color, shape or texture.

I have an apointment with a dermatologist comming up, but I am worried. Is it like ly to be melanoma? If so, wouldn't I have noticed some semi-rapid to rapid change? It surely has changed in apearence since childhood but not at all or very little in the past years.  I do have quite a few other moles, all are much smaller and a few are a bit undefined or irreguar in some way. What are the odds that this mole is dangerous? If it is melanoma, would I be a lost cause, since it has been there for at least 15-20 years? Thank you, for any information or help you can give.

CG

I doubt very much that it's a melanoma.  it sounds like an ordinary mole, and the fact that it's been there so long supports its being OK.  I would keep the appointment so you can be sure, but you should be fine.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Dr. Rockoff,
It would apear to me that it is a Spilus Nevus, as it has a specled apearence and has gained more dark interior spots over the years since childhood. Is it normal for these types of moles to have very irregular borders or to become malignant? Also, some pain has been in that leg and knee area for some time now, not the mole itself, but just in the general knee area. Could this be a sign of malignancy or spread or malignancy? Thank you for the reassurance and I will keep my apointment.
Nevus spilus is a speckled mole.  It is benign.  However, from your description, I don't think that's what you have.  You'll really do well to leave the diagnosis to the doctor...

Dr. Rockoff